1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mark Rein: Consoles killing the PC market

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 1 Feb 2008.

1. haggisathome

haggisathome What's a Dremel?

that has got to be the best statement of 2008 ..... my clan just died because of epics attempt to kill a good game ....

2. Lurch

Lurch What's a Dremel?

I want to start by thanking the guys that created this site, good honest advice/reviews are hard to find nowadays. Up until now i have just read articles, lots of great information here so thankyou.

Im having a real problem with pc gaming at he minute, ive been playing pc games for about 10 years, mainly fps. The only reason i have owned consoles is for the games that they are great for, the gran turismo series on playstations, the resident evil games on the gamecube. These were the reasons that i bought these consoles. All fps gaming was done on the pc, as far as i was concerned the pc was the only machine that gave me the best experience. Ive always prefered pc gaming to console gaming, if i needed a gt or resident evil fix i had my consoles but most of the time was spent on the pc. Im not going to go into how many clans ive led or been in as this is not what im trying to say here. As far as fps games go on the pc ive played all the ones are that worth playing (you know which ones im talking about). Online or offline fps gaming was all i used to know, played halo on the xbox and hated how restricted it felt. I always loved the freedom of movement that i got from a mouse and keyboard.

I bought an xbox 360 about 8 months ago as i had just bought a new hdtv and wondered what all this "high definiton" gaming was all about, the games i got with it were need for speed carbon and gears of war. Need for speed i had already completed on the pc so i sold it straight away. Gears of war at first was a strange experience it was difficult aiming with 2 analogue sticks, then i got used to it, even though in the back of my head i knew if this came out on the pc i would be faster and more accurate. The funny thing was that i didnt care that i didnt have a mouse and keyboard and was having more fun as i was sitting in front of a hugh tv with a wireless controller. I was also easily able to have a co-op game over an online system that seems flawless and simple to use. Now i wont go on too much about gears of war as this is not what im writing about but i will say one thing; i bought it for the pc and yes im faster and more accurate with a keyboard and mouse, but i have found myself buying a cable to connect my pc to my hdtv and a wireless adapter so that i can use a 360 controller to play gears like i do on the 360. Why is this? I think its because the game came out on the 360 first and had the best experience of playing it on a big tv.

Ok guys nearly finished, onto my problem. I had a tough decision about 2 months ago wether or not to buy call of duty 4 for the pc or the 360.
    In the end i went for the 360 version, after much thinking (i have the first 2 games for the pc and love them) about my loyalty to fps pc gaming. I love pc games, i have bought hundreds over the years. I have spent 10's of thousands upgrading several computers so why did i buy one of the biggest fps releases for a console? In all honesty i think i bought it because a couple of my old clanmates had it for the 360. I dont regret abandoning my pc as i bought it for the pc too, though i have only played it twice on it. My 360 is never off from playing cod4. So what is wrong with me? I think its that i am my own problem, many years ago i played unreal on a top spec pc. I had to have a computer capable of playing like i did, so started the upgrade frenzy. Repeatedly upgrading every year, spending thousands to play the latest game on full detail. I think im tired of spending money on pcs as it seems like its a vicous circle.

So what should i do?

Thanks guys for reading this very long-winded, overly waffling stupid post, but i needed to say something to someone lol.

3. HitmanAdski

HitmanAdski What's a Dremel?

Pfftt.... more of the original Halo games where sold on PC not Xbox that's why they had to release Halo 2 later :D , well that's how I see it. Hardcore gamers just need a little help from Microsoft... they need to make Dx10 better, and lets hoping they will.

4. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

5. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

It is amazing how they changed nothing for UT3, just upgraded the graphics, then he whines because it sold poorly? Blames Piracy? MArk Rein is another greedy suit that wants PC gaming to go away so he can line his own pockets.

6. boggsi

boggsi What's a Dremel?

i didnt get chance to read all the posts. but i love you guys! PC gaming really is king, I am a die hard fan even if it costs me 1.5k every 4 years.

And to all you console fan boys, go check out sonys desired life cycle of the PS3... did someone say 10 years? 10 years! thats just to properly recoup the insane development expenditure. In 7 years PC gaming will look so much better than PS3/xbox u might as well get your PS2 out.

7. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

I just switched from console gaming (have been a strict console gamer since the n64) because Im sick of how unreliable my 360 is becoming. The thing has more disk read errors and random tantrums about something than my old windows 98 setup did. Maybe its just be being old skool and having memories of when games came on cartridges and wouldn't have read errors and the hardware was too simple to trip over its self. Console gaming is only becoming more popular because the general public dont really understand PCs and the prospect of almost pc like gaming for much less in a nice package is more tempting than a 2 grand computer.

Tags: Add Tags