1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Mass Effect 2 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 26 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Not sure about US, but it's not out until 29th here. I may be wrong and, if I am, I apologise.

As for demand, it's hard to judge. It does look better IMHO, but I imagine it's going to be pretty comparable if you haven't updated.

2. Bede

Bede Well-Known Member

It is released in the US afaik. Were there any of the texture pop-in and other LOD problems from ME1?

3. karx11erx

karx11erx New Member

I don't think that it is a good idea to have a game ranked only by fans of the genre. The score might look different if gamers who prefer other types of games had a say in the evaluation - maybe because they are less prone to overlook glitches and flaws in a game than those whos love for the game style makes them (halfway) blind.

I have to say that I am not a big RPG fan. The only RPG I really liked was Gothic, where I found scale, quests and character building to be perfectly balanced for my taste and could play more or less in 1st person view. I had tried MW:ES before and dumped it after way over 100 hours of playing it (and breaking the main quest). I have also tried ME1, and I also dumped after having been about 10 or 20 hours in the game. I found the combat system to be crappy and the game to be extremely tedious - requiring you to walk your feet off to fulfill some sidequest in that big space city. What upset me most however was how Bioware shoved their facial animation system in your face at every occasion, forcing you to watch lengthy conversations - over and over if you wanted to explore the results of different choices. I have patience - I have proved it when playing Gothic 2 or MW:ES - but that was stretching it too far. I was glad I had purchased that game from the bargain shelf. So I will certainly not get ME2 (and I will never understand why the heck most RPGs do not offer a 1st person perspective - it's a very personal thing how to find such a game most enjoyable, so why force me into a playing style I cannot appreciate, right?)

4. CardJoe

By your logic though you might not want to have a gamer review games, because they'd be biased? Sure you'd want to have someone knowledgeable of the genre and series reviewing a game, as I am as an RPG fan and a Mass Effect 1 player. You need to nullify bias, which is part of the job, but you also need familiarity and knowledge about the topic. Otherwise, why not give Mass Effect 2 to your gran and ask her what she thinks?

5. karx11erx

karx11erx New Member

CardJoe,

if you could have bothered to read my comment unbiased and with due attention to detail you'd have noticed that I didn't say "not", but "not only".

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I might be going bllind, but after two reads of the review I see no spoilers for ME2 that aren't inconsequential, or something that you could have worked out all on your lonesome.

As for ME1? The game's two years old. If you genuinely cared that much you'd have seen it all first hand already.

Whining for the sake of whining is all I see here.

As with the other guy - It's stuff that, if you were remotely switched on, you could work out for yourself. Teaser shows Shepard claimed as KIA, but then screenshots later show him/her alive? Clearly someone rescued Shepard at some stage, all Joe did was put names to the events we ought, really, to have worked out by now.

I lol'd.

7. D B

D B New Member

I say play the first one, I did ... it's my first RPG and I was impressed (and also a confused newbe).. went through it 2 times and now on my 3rd .. found all kinds of things/outcomes I missed the first times

The new one is very much on my to get list

8. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Cool down Joe. You seem to be having a bad day.

Just relax and go and play some ME2 awesomeness! :thumb:

(you lucky sod)

9. CardJoe

Apologies on that - I did read it fully, but must have skipped that. I still don't fully see the point though. That would mean either that you'd have two separate reviews on one site, which is impractical and silly-sounding, or that you'd have two opinions on one item. That often happens. I talk through every game review with someone, especially Harry, Rich and Jamie, all of whom have very different opinions. Jamie hates ME. Our reviews are nearly always a collaborative process in this way, but for style reasons can't be framed that way and discussion instead spills into the forums and podcasts.

The other outcome from what I understand of your suggestion would be an utterly different style of review which was explicitly collaborative and deliberately involved fans of a genre and non-fans. I'm not sure I see that working, as there's generally a reason why non-fans don't write reviews; they aren't knowledgeable, they have no interest, they are usually biased against the topic in an non-constructive way. It also means that the final review is less likely to be useful to the actual targeted readers of the site; i.e. people who are interested and who know a bit about it.

It's for that reason I don't review any racing games. I hate them. I hate cars. I can't drive. I haven't ever enjoyed playing them. So, I give the reviews to Harry mostly. He loves cars and he knows what he's talking about. A collaborative review would just be a rehash of Harry saying "Forza is a really fun, realisitic racer" and me saying "No it isn't. Go drive a real car. Off a cliff."

There's no worth to any of that. You have to assume that anyone actually investing the time to read an article (and not just active in discussions, but actually reading the review with interest) is interested in the product. You also have to assume they want to know more about it. That dictates that the writer should mirror those sentiments and be able to offer a fair valuation of the product as something they are familiar with and know a lot about.

Besides, there are plenty of RPGs out the which I've hated too.

LOL. Not worked up at all. Scoring systems are just something we've been talking about a lot in the office lately, so I've got a handy stockpile of opinions to dump. I'm being verbose, not angry and as always I appreciate the feedback that you guys offer. Apologies if it came off any other way - I suppose that's a side effect of text versus voice.

I will go play some ME2 though, don't you worry...

10. Aadyi

Aadyi New Member

Just wanted to pop in to say nice review and all that but I also have a question regarding AA(anti-aliasing) in Mass Effect 2. In ME1 there was no option to enable AA at all but you could obviously still just force AA in Nvidia Control Panel or ATI Catalyst CC and after that all was fine. This doesnt seem to work in ME2(now before you start blaming me for having the game already I must say that my pre-order is on its way, but I just couldnt resist lol:). At the moment I use a ATI 5870 and therefore Catalyst CC. I tried all types of 'box' AA from 2x to 8x and also 'edge-detect' AA but nothing works. In Borderlands I could trick this by renaming 'Borderlands.exe' to 'ut3.exe' and then CCC could force AA(in case you are wondering why Borderlands, Bioshock, ME1 and ME2 use UT3 Engine). It worked in ME2 aswell but only just after i renamed 'masseffect2.exe' to 'ut3.exe' and clicked on it right away. AA was now forced but after exiting the game and running it again it would refuse to enable AA...I am quite desperate cause those jagged edges during cutscenes and conversations are killing the otherwise UBER EPIC experience. PLS HELP guys!!! Thanks and enjoy ME2!!!!

11. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

You can buy a
    Space Hamster for your captains quarters!
    If that doesn't convince you how awesome this game is, I don't know what will.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2010
  12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

OHSHI-YOURUINEDTHESUSPENSEANDTHEGAME.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Jan 2010
    Baz likes this.
  13. DarkBanana

DarkBanana New Member

Ah. but is it giant?

ps how do you do that black box thing?

14. Scootiep

Scootiep Member

Article Quote: "It’s hard to talk about exactly how Bioware have achieved such a phenomenal quality of writing and delivery without either giving away huge spoilers or harping on endlessly about ‘the depth’ and ‘the narrative’ like babbling English teachers, but rest assured that Bioware has achieved that."

The best artists/writers are those that don't worry about following any particular school of though about art. They don't care about what others are going to say about their art. They simply and fully submerge themselves in the act of artistic creation because they love it. Mass Effect 2's writers understand this well. That's how they do such an amazing job without all the hype.

15. Uriah

Uriah Aiteo Theou Sophias

i have to say, I really enjoy reading the reviews on this site. I find them very informative, and I don't see bias personally. Keep up the good work Joe, I think you are doing a great job!

I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I do like to get a good game when it comes out. This seems like one that would be worth getting right away instead of waiting a year or so. Although games that are deep, like this one seems to be, are difficult for me to play since I am the type that doesn't do a good job of really grasping the small but important parts of the story line. It usually takes me a play through, then read about some things that I missed, and then I go through again to try to find them later. I also don't have the time to dedicate to really getting into the story for 3 or more hours at a time which doesn't help. Still this seems like it would be worth getting sooner than later.

16. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I'm looking forward to this, but I want to re-complete ME1 first (if just to have a completed save game to import - my old completed save game is on my old 20gb 360 drive)

17. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 New Member

+1 to this review, the game is absolutely brilliant, I'm only a bit into it now and it's fantastic.

18. FreQ

FreQ New Member

Wow, Joe is getting hammered in this thread! :D

I struggle with RPGs. After loving FF7 years ago I thought I had discovered a genre I'd really get into, but every RPG I've played since has been boring or rubbish for me. I played ME1 through to the end out of duty more than enjoyment...I was so turned off by the rigid, un-likeable characters that I didn't care what happened to them. I found myself running through the game, not wanting to try out the side quests at all and just wanting to reach the end; and this was after a good 10 hours of trying to get into the story.

I'd like to sink into a deep, story driven game, but I don't think the ME series is for me.

19. Psytek

Psytek New Member

10/10?

Why so low?

20. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Member

Quick question, have they revamped the inventory system? ME1's was utter garbage.

It would be nice if they made the menus with mice in mind for the PC.

I have a huge stack of back catalog games that I need to play through (inc Dragon Age)... but I'm going to be glued to this all weekend!

Tags: Add Tags