1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mass Effect and Spore DRM detailed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 May 2008.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Ah I just searched for spore petition, I only got stuff about the demo and releasing more info. Signed it, thought the statement could have been a bit better though, it missed a few compelling arguments.

2. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Petition signed and e-mails sent :). Agree that it could have contained more arguments, but at least it's short and to the point.

3. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

signed. now we need it to escalate in numbers, how about making it a news article like you did with uwe boll joe? also tell the inquirer, they've got a large, incredibly vocal following

Last edited: 8 May 2008
  4. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

/signed! ...hopefully this will finally get some attention from the internet hordes out there

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

6. LinMan

LinMan What's a Dremel?

I guess i wait for the pirate version.

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Why not sign the petition why you wait?

8. Toka

Toka Minimodder

I'll happily buy spore with these protections in place.

And then (hopefully) get a crack that stops it checking every 10 chuffing days.

9. bandcamp

bandcamp What's a Dremel?

I just registered to point out that your assessment of console piracy isn't 100% correct, and somewhat misinformed/jaded. I'm a console gamer the majority of the time (Spore/Starcraft II are actually the only PC games I've been looking forward to, I couldn't care less about other PC games, honestly...so this news somewhat disappoints me, but I'll still be purchasing Spore and SC2 once it's released), and a lot of console gamers do in fact know about modding/pirating games. Whether or not they act upon it is their prerogative. In some cases, it's just as, if not easier to pirate on a console than it is on a PC. There are hardware mods, as you mentioned which could be troublesome, but there are the lazy man's mods, which are softmods, as well as add-on mods that you attach to your console to mod it to play pirated/imported games. With the softmod, the gamer neither has to modify hardware or void their warranty to play pirated games (similarly with the add-on, as mentioned above). And in the Dreamcast's case, all you had to do was burn the games, it had no protection whatsoever.

I wouldn't say it's a fraction either...it probably isn't as big as PC's, but it's pretty big too...just like PC developers, console devs are weary of developing games because they may not make the returns do to poor sales to piracy (there are of course other factors as well, but piracy is an issue they are concerned about).

10. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

OMFG

To all the people who continue to talk about pirating this game because of secuROM:

CP does not justify piracy. No matter what. If secuROM actually penetrated your asshole every time you saw a loading screen, it would still not justify pirating the game. You are perfectly within your rights, of course, to simply not purchase it if you feel that the scheme is an invasion of privacy or an insult. As an informed consumer, it could actually even be considered your responsibility not to buy it and to lodge your complaints with EA.

Piracy = Theft. Get that though your thick skulls, and stop acting like children. I urge you to go sign the petition, and I urge you to refuse to buy the game if it really bothers you. But for the love of god, don't steal it. Someone posted this in response to what I said above:
    While I don't really believe that people are pirating the game for any reason other than to not spend money on it, it's certainly true that piracy leads to more CP, and people are certainly using oppressive CP schemes to justify their theft, as evidenced dozens of times in this thread alone.

We are the consumers. They are the producers. We both have a hand in this vicious cycle, and one or both sides can opt out of continuing it. As consumers, let's do our part to stop the increase of oppressive CP, and:

STOP ****ING PIRATING GAMES YOU ETHICALLY BANKRUPT THIEVES. All legitimate gamers are paying for it when you pirate games, and it certainly isn't going to help stop CP. It will make it worse. Sign the petition, don't buy the game, just don't screw ME over and steal it.

Now that I think about it, maybe it's what the pirates want. A solid excuse not to fork over the money to the developers who bring them their entertainment.

Sorry for the caps in places, but you probably didn't hear me shouting at my monitor so I had to do it.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

partition signed.

waiting for a pirated version of both game unless they remove the stupid 10day activation.

i won't mind a Bioshock activation because it's normal, HL2 had it, people should get used to it. but every 10 day? that is just too far.

12. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

No it doesn't. Piracy = copyright infringement which is a completely different matter. Theft requires the perpetrator to have permanently deprived the victim of whatever item has been stolen, i.e. in terms of this discussion it would only be theft if by pirating the game the perpetrator had permanently deprived the developer/publisher of a copy of the game which they could have otherwise sold.

I should make it clear that i'm not condoning piracy but i'm sick and tired of people stating piracy is theft when it's not.

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Dont forget the limited installations allowed.

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I'd really consider taking and/or stealing something you didn't pay for theft, whether it be vaporous or tangible.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

first 2 install is too limited. but 5 installs is fair. i have installed 3 times in total (1 on old computer, 2 on new computer with reinstalls).

Mass Effect's 3 install limitations will probably be just about the lowest acceptable borderline.

16. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

It's theft of information, data, whatever. Theft does not require that you deprive someone of a physical object. Another case of an old concept getting updated for the digital age. When you think about it, you are depriving the developer and published of a game that would otherwise have been sold:

The one they were going to try and sell to you.

17. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ehh if they reduced prices to say $20.00 a game there would probably be a lot less piracy/theft of games as more people would be able to afford it, would it stop it no but it would probably reduce it by a lot, I mean I will be honest I dont pirate games BUT I do find it hard to go out and buy a game thats $50.00 knowing that it will only last me 15hrs or less of game play and then probably be never played again, it just doesnt seem worth it unless it had good replay value which rarely games do a side from multiplayer possibilities.

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Then, in a couple of years, when you have already installed OS and changed hardware, you have a nostalgia for DRM Effet, or Spore, you try to install it and you are unable to.

19. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

No, that's just sooo wrong. That only works (and this is at a stretch) if you assume that everyone who pirates a game/album/movie would have otherwise bought a copy. However it's not the case that people who pirate something would have bought a copy, it's far more likely that they just would have gone without.

The developer/publisher have not actually been deprived of anything apart from a hypothetical sale, the original item from which all the pirate copies have been produced is still available to them and can be sold. This is why piracy is copyright infringement and not theft.

Imagine if you will that someone invented a machine that could produce a exact copy of any car you saw. You take said machine to a Ferrari dealership and clone a Ferrari 430 which you then drive off in. The Ferrari dealership is still able to sell the original 430 as it's still sat on the forecourt. The only thing they have lost out on is the hypothetical sale which would have probably never happened as in most cases people can't afford a 430.

20. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Tags: Add Tags