1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mass Effect and Spore DRM detailed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 May 2008.

1. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

2. Wicz

Wicz What's a Dremel?

So they are the same company and you are telling me that it's not Bioware it's EA?

And you are calling me a doofus?

Sigh...

3. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

It doesn't matter WHO is responsible, (and I am pretty sure there was a mutual agreement) the only way to stop companies from going further and further down this route is to vote with our wallets. I will not buy games with this kind of DRM. I feel this is the best way to make a statement.

4. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

More mis-information, Mass Effect does not ened the Cd in the drive, so no CD or drive damage. Also, Steam also needs regular connection to the internet, so how come that works so well? Overreaction.

5. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

If this is anything like the bioshock version the game will be available cracked 3 days before release. If you buy the proper version you can spend the first day with your game waiting for the auth servers to deal with the load, it was stupid.

6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

tun tun tun, another one bites the dust!

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Steam offers something for its intrusive cp this doesn't

8. Lepermessiah

You will not even know it is checking, get real, making mountains out of mole hills. What a close minded bunch. If you have internet and a legit copy, the game will work as normal.

9. Lepermessiah

What is next weeks lotto numbers?

10. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Oh, typical. Right after I put in for the pre-order. You know, it's s**t like this that really makes me wonder if the industry just likes to f**k with us PC people. I mean, this is like a really persistent itch that could only be alleviated by a hand-grenade.

Did the X-Box version of Mass Effect have this or something equivalent? Like you drop the game into the drive and an on screen dialog states that you need to 'phone home' by dialing the 900-number (read: $3.99/min. access charge) on screen using a 'special' keyboard (that you had to pay extra money to purchase and use, by the way...) plugged into the X-Box and you have to wait on hold for 20 mins. before you can play the game you actually paid for. My guess, no.

So, basically if I don't turn my system on for 10 days I'm SOL for my key? Is that what I'm understanding? What if the local cable access happens to go down due to a huge district outtage, and we all don't have net access for 10 days?

I love Bioware's work, but this is making me annoyed. Maybe even annoyed enough to cancel my pre-order.

Thanks, EA!

11. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

:thumb:

12. Ryan_Pospichal

Ryan_Pospichal What's a Dremel?

Well, I'm not buying these games. Seriously? Every 10 days? What about all the people that don't have internet connections? ****'n retards...

13. Wicz

Wicz What's a Dremel?

ROFLMAO!!

You'll notice when it returns a nice popup window telling you that your illegal key ( this will be the same key that you legally purchased ) has been blacklisted and your game is now disabled. Or when you pop on for a game and the master server is down or busy and you simply can't play your paid for title no matter how hard you try.

You'll also notice when the invasive DRM conflicts with some software on your PC and you start getting mysterious crashes e.t.c.

What is it with you? Do you want to pay people for the priviledge of jumping through hoops or are you just confused?

14. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

what about the people that don't have good enough spec graphics cards to play them? its just another system requirement in my eyes.

15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I disagree with this method of CP there for i will not purchase the game, simple, no mountains just your abusive tones. I put up with steam as i brings benefit to me I do not owe a dev/pub anything if they produce a product i want to buy i will if not i will not. The reason I and others vent on forums is to try and get the point accross to devs/pubs that sometimes there games bombing is nothing to do with piracy and more to do with there business practices, if the they choose to ignore this or believe that this time there CP will be infallible then that is there problem. In a free market if one publisher or developer moves on or dies another will move in to fill the void and when they do they will perhaps bring some new and fresh ideas to the market.

As for not knowing if your net connection dies you'll find out quickly enough when it tries and fails to validate at least steam there is the option to work off line.

16. Lepermessiah

Pure BS, it has come along way just as steam, many of these assinine comments were said about steam at first, you are spreading scare mongering, it had issues at first, it has come along way. What are nexts week lotto numbers again?

17. Lepermessiah

If u don't meet a requirement, don't buy a game, steam games also require internet, nothing new, most people playing Pc games have a consistent internet connection (Millions). No different then not having enough ram to play, it is written on the box, so no excuse to complain about it after the fact.

18. Lepermessiah

Yep, pretty simple concept.

19. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

It's a tired debate but I'm sick of all this rose-tinted Steam talk.

I'd rather have SecuROM with an web-check every 10 days than a game on Steam that I can't sell on (or even give away).

Until valve allow you to transfer games from account to account, I will regard Steam as broken. I will happily install Mass Effect/Spore and out with an inconsequential check every 10 days, and when I am finished, I will uninstall and sell/pass the game on.

Should Valve change their attitude, I'll change my position, but as it stands, the Bioware option is the lesser of two evils.

20. Wicz

Wicz What's a Dremel?

Check out the Bioshock forums and then come back and tell me I am scaremongering. DRM does not work, pirates will always steal what they want. You and I are the ones that suffer with DRM, not the pirates.

Please try and understand before old age intervenes :(

Tags: Add Tags