1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage MASSIVE PC slow down!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by SpeedLegion, 5 May 2011.

1. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

My pc is as in sig below!

I have been away from pc for a while relying on the trusty laptop, but have tried to use it today and yesterday but it is literally being slower then anything i have ever used....

Takes about 10mins to load to login screen, apps taking ages to load, etc

I'm thinking its a problem with the hard drive, but praying not as i don't have the money to replace a vertex atm or the time to re-format and get it all set up again with exams coming up!!

Any ideas?

2. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

XP? Vista? Win7? Win98?

Run a SMART test to figure out if it is disk errors - if on Win7 go to Performance Tools and Information (where the Experience Index is calculated) then Advanced tools at the left, then Generate a system health report.
    Ruling out the hard drive, check with msconfig (type that into the start menu/run box) to make sure any unnecessary programs are not running. If you are up to a challenge, go through the Services as well.

3. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

Windows 7...

I will try those things if it eventually manages to log in and let you know...

4. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

Performance thing didn't highlight any problems and can't see anything unusual in msconfig!

If it offers any suggestions for the problem, the HDD LED light hasn't turned off bar occasional flickering... but I'm not running anything...

Last edited: 5 May 2011
  5. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Try Resource Monitor (again under Advanced Tools) to find out what is chewing up your HDD. As this is happening repeatedly I am guessing it is reading from the HDD, not writing. So look out for processes with high read B/sec.

6. Deders

Deders Modder

Do you have more than one Antivirus or Spyware program that scans your files as they are accessed?

7. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

You say a vertex, do you have a vertex? Because that will just be a case of TRIMing the SSD.

8. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

I only have one antivirus running!
    Now programmed were using it excessively!

And I updated to it's latest firmware a while ago so thought that you no longer had to manually trim? Plus I wouldn't have thought the effects of not trimming would cause the level of problems I am having!

It will literally freeze on trying to open firefox for like 10mins!!!

9. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Bear in mind with these firmware updates the SSD garbage collection can be left very late, it's like that with crucial SSD's. Manual trim would be much better but downgrading the firmware would void the warranty and more.

10. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

Hmmm I couldn't find the old trim tool....

So downloaded some programme from OCZ forums which is meant to optimise settings for SSDs... that and I disabled a load of crap...

Seems to be working again :)

Not quite as quick as before still :S but usable :D

So thanks guys!!