1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Max Payne

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jordan Wise, 9 Jul 2008.

1. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

This series was first on my 'critically acclaimed game which i missed at the time' list, which i've allocated a lot of my summertime to play through.

And i absolutely loved it. With its noir setting, deadpan narration and sharp dialogue it felt like Sin City, and that is a very good thing. Gameplay wise it was a tad on the easy side, particularly the second one with its recharging bullet time but still not overly easy, as i still died quite frequently in the later levels. The highlights of the games for me though are the crazy drug overdose/ nightmare levels where everything goes blurry, hallways shrink and the audio is full-on twisted. Going in to a 'gun everything down' game, titled as is it, i never thought i'd fine such a good example of games as art as i did with these.

Next up on the list: Beyond Good & Evil

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Great fun, and the first time you do the follow-the-blood-trail-in-the-blurry-darkness section I nearly **** myself.

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

One of my favourite games (series) ever and looked awesome on a mediocre PC at the time

4. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Yep, I agree, both Max Payne games were fantastic. I thought there were extremely effective in portraying the film noire atmosphere, they had some great scenes, frantic action, witty dialogue, some very dark humor and great action scenes. Plus there were often some unintentionally hilarious moments with the rag doll physics, especially in MP2.

I dig them out every once in a while and play through both of them, hell I might just do so again real soon.

5. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed Max Payne 1 and 2, great games imo. I played through both only a couple of months ago and I still think MP2 has awesome graphics and physics. The model/texture detail on the weapons is particularly good, even to this day, especially if you compare it to something like Bioshock, which imho had awful weapon models.

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

These are also on my Top 10 list. Still eagerly hoping for a Max Payne 3, but I guess that ship has left the port and gone down with men and mice as it were.

7. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

if you like max pain and you've never played it try the first F.E.A.R its truly truly freaky

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Not on, or near, my top ten list - but still very, very well made and impressive games.

FEAR though is not freaky aside from a few key moments. If you want scary then play the original Condemned, or this Doom 3 mod:

http://blended.planethalflife.gamespy.com/pathways/

9. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

How can you say that a nine year old girl who sets fire to things with her mind who is immune to your bullets to start with is not freaky. :)

also admittedly F.E.A.R does get a lot worse when its played on maximum difficulty in the dark after drinking 3 or 4 cans of red bull :)

10. Jordan Wise

both fear and condemned are on the list, but i'd like to play them in darkness so they're getting played early semptember time when the nights are a bit longer and i can get more done before falling asleep

11. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Because not only does she never set you on fire, you never shoot at her either. Fear was freaky, but not nearly as freaky as it could have been because the vast majority of the scariness wasn't dangerous, just freaky.

Ah Pathways Redux. Stupidly short, but awesomely awesome in its own little demo type way. Given this came out within months of D3 releasing, and long before most other mod teams got their head around the (sometimes a little idiosyncratic) engine, it's an amazing piece of engineering.

And those final cacodemon things were ****ing terrifying.

12. Elz

Elz miaow

Max Payne was indeed great (though i slightly preferred the first one), but I'm more excited by your intention to play BG&E!! You certainly won't regret that. One of the loveliest games ever made. I almost fainted when they announced the sequel nobody thought would happen.

13. Jordan Wise

The complete list is as follows:

Max Payne Series
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Half Life (this one's jumped que because BG&E takes 3-5 days, rather than half an hour)
    Vagrant Story
    Ico
    STALKER
    Chrono Trigger
    Monkey Island 2&3
    Theif 1&2
    Fallout 1&2
    Grim Fandango
    Baldurs Gate 1&2 (could take a while...)
    Condemned
    System Shock 2
    Planetscape Tourment
    FEAR
    Resident Evil- all of them except nemesis
    Darwinia
    Pathologic (hopefully the translation project will have finished by then)
    Civ 2
    Super Paper Mario
    FF10&12
    Sins of a Solar Empire
    Metal Gear 3

I'm sure more additions will come, but that should last me till about christmas lol. Decided to do this as i'm hopefully going to newcastle to do computer science and then go into game design, so i'm getting my teeth into every outstanding game possible.

14. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Brilliant list, I might have to take a few ideas from that for the summer holidays :D

Especially if the rain continues....:(

15. Jordan Wise

i hope my playstation still works, its been in the loft collecting dust for the past 3 years, ever since i learnt how to get FF7 on the PC

16. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Every console i've ever had still works, bar the newest, the 360 :lol:
    Got a Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Gameboy colour, Gba and soooo on...........

Just hoping I manage to get a few quid together for the games

17. Elz

Elz miaow

ah man that's an awesome list. There's a lot on there I haven't played either (i'm so behind, really). I was also thinking of playing through the entire monkey island series again. That's always good for a laugh.

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'm hoping Deus Ex isn't on that list because you've already played it...

19. Jordan Wise

strangely enough its on the written list but it got lost in translation to my post, it sits above the resident evils

P.S (Elz): 'Rubber tree'

20. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

If you like mp2. Download the Cinema Mod. Simply outstanding. Plus dual silenced beretta's :)

Tags: