1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Maximus V Gene BIOS Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cei, 29 May 2012.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I've just installed my new Z77 Gene, and have run in to an issue with the BIOS.

When I press F1 to enter setup, my display goes dark and nothing loads on screen (1920x1200), via the GTX 580.

I can boot to Windows fine, and the board is working. However, I can't install my 2500K's iGPU (doesn't show up, assuming disabled?), and having a screen connected using the onboard HDMI doesn't work for the BIOS either.

Any ideas? I'm thinking the BIOS is displaying at a resolution my screen doesn't like maybe?

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its DEL to go into the EFI...

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

If I hit the reset switch on the I/O panel, on the next boot it tells me to press F1 to enter setup, which is when I then get a black screen. Just tried with Del, and exactly the same thing, except at no point during boot is anything displayed (and it doesn't try to boot Windows either).

Bizzarely, it all worked fine on the IV Gene-Z.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

On mine its DEL just after the beep (if yours goes beep) or just at the code readout hits A0. I found that it didn't detect my screens native res straight away though, but it did display...

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

No beep! I'll try and time it with the code, but I have left it on the blank screen for 10mins before resetting...

Nope, same result :( I don't have another screen to try it with, beyond maybe rustling up a DVI-HDMI cable for the 580 instead of my normal display so I can try my TV?

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Could try doing a BIOs update, see if that solves it. I found the auto update on the software wouldn't work, so download the file manually and use the update from file in the Asus tools to update painlessly :)

Cei likes this.
  7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Cheers, will give that a try :) +rep for the help!

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Gosh darn it, newest BIOS had no effect. Where's Bindi when you need him!?!?!

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

:( Well, its defiantly DEL to enter BIOs, aside from that I don't know. Do you see the Asus logo?

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I see literally nothing, just black (with backlight on) screen until I reach the Windows boot. If I've done a BIOS reset I see some text, and then nothing. Trying with the TV via HDMI now...

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

AH GOT YOU, YOU *******!

Apparently it doesn't like 1920x1200. However it is perfectly happy with 1920x1080.

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Very odd. Pull out your GPU, that should kick in the on-die GPU and use that...