1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

maxtor hard drives...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by venomz, 19 Oct 2005.

1. Eliminos

Eliminos What's a Dremel?

I bought a Seagate drive... It made the most god awful grinding noise when I plugged it in, so I sent it back to Ebuyer.

My maxtor hasn't died yet.

2. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

Ive seen and repaired many computers that have had maxtors crash. One or two samsungs. I havent seen a seagate crash to date and very few WDs. I try to stick with seagates when building for people for the warranty and they seem to be the quietest ive been able to find as well.

3. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

I've had one in my second rig for nearly 4 years now - no problems. I bought it from a retail store though, so maybe they are more suseptable to damage while in transit.

4. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

hmmm.. ok my maxtor 160gb is slowly dieing on me, so i got a seagate 7200.7 160gb and it won't format for some reason :(

-Fr4nk

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Have you tried formatting it using seagate's drive wizard? There's a version of it on "ultimate boot cd" that has never failed me, even on drives FDisk won't touch.

6. Hazza

Hazza What's a Dremel?

Well personally I'v had no problems with Maxtors yet. The only drive I've had that failed was a Seagate. However, I built a server for someone a while back which had maxtors in (diamond max +9) and one of those failed, but only after almost constant read/write for about 18 months; restarted the machine and the drive died.

7. striker289

striker289 What's a Dremel?

i have a maxtor 40gb in my computer, i have had it for almost 3 years. Its on for a average of 6-8 hours a day. No problems what so ever.

8. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Yup I have tried that tool on UBCD and still no luck :wallbash:

EDIT: just sent it off to the RMA dept in amsterdam :eyebrow:

-Fr4nk

Last edited: 22 Oct 2005
  9. venomz

venomz What's a Dremel?

most of you guys are saying you have had them for 4-8 years but... have you used them none stop ? i use my pc 7-10 hours every day and on sat-sunday-monday i use it for 16-18 hours straight. hehe i no i do have a part time job i work midnight shift at ups . hehe. but ne waise. iv had even a 160 gig HD thats made by seagate die on me to. almost ever HD iv had died on me :D saprizing enough huh. lol

10. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

Got a 256mb WD still working after 12 years

11. -Erik-

-Erik- Guest

Its like a freakin season of dieing maxtor hdd's .. my disk too (like 1,5years old) is dieing on me since last week .. it makes a lot of noise when it reads stuff but still works. gonna replace it before it actually dies

12. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I think we have to remember that older drives are less compact than new drives, thus less sentitive. Which is why a lot of drives older than 5 years are still working, now with hundreds of gigs of space in one HDD, they are bound to be a lot more sentitive, and will have a higher failure rate.