1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Maybe this explains higher than expected Ryzen Temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sgoaty, 31 Dec 2020.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What that means is HWINFO isn't reading it right either. It's possible you haven't got the right drivers installed for your motherboard, or that the motherboard doesn't have the right calibration. Basically, you can assume that the actual core temperature is at least 20°C higher than shown - possibly more.

What does it say if you go into your BIOS and view the system health there?

2. kim

kim hardware addict

I went into the UEFI and the CPU temp is 25°C :rollingeyes:
    unfortunately i couldn't screenshot

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

25°C idle sounds significantly more plausible in a 19°C room. Lower than I'd have expected, but at least it's not claiming to be sub-ambient!

By contrast, my 8C/16T Ryzen 2700X, which has a lower TDP than your FX, is currently idling at 34°C in a 19.5°C ambient. If I switch to the powersave governor, which locks the clocks at 2.2GHz, I can walk that down a few degrees - but not down to 25°C. I am running at a *very* low fan speed, tho' - the switch is on low, and it's at about a 40 percent duty cycle. Pretty much silent.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2021
  4. kim

kim hardware addict

yes, it makes sense a tad more :hehe: however, it's still much lower than my R5 3600XT :sad:
    but...how can I put my trust into any temp soft actually??
    About drivers, I usually take them from the motherboard site (Gigabyte), and I don't let any yellow triangle into my device manager I swear :grin:

5. kim

kim hardware addict

34°C in idle is a pretty decent temp :thumb: I use the wraith spire on my Ryzen (before I try something else), but the fan is spinning really fast all the time, with some real high speed peaks, occuring from time to time...I hope a good DIY water cooling will show better results...:worried:

6. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I'm about to build a DIY watercooling loop for my Ryzen 3700x, so I'll let you know what temps I get lol. It'll likely have a 360 rad all to itself, at least to begin with. With a wraith spire mine was idling around 55 - 60 degrees according to both bios and HWInfo though, so bear that in mind.

kim likes this.
  7. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

A custom loop gets me 10-15 degrees better than air at idle. It's usually idling around 32 (Tcl/Tdie).
    If I kill absolutely everything in the background it dips below 30 degrees.
    [​IMG]

Room temp 19, coolant at 22, all fans at 650rpm and GPU also in the loop at 27.