1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple mbp going to sleep

Discussion in 'Software' started by hobbs, 22 Jun 2007.

1. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

is there anyway to change when you close your lid of your macbook it will not go to sleep? i looked in the power saver options, and i couldn't find anything.

2. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

bump, anyone out there know?

3. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Mac OS Help (Command + ?)

I figure you want one of these 2 articles -
    ---------------------------------------------
    Using your portable computer with the display closed
    With some portables, you can use your computer with the display closed. For example, you might want to close your computer when using it to give a presentation on an external monitor connected to your computer.

To use the computer with the display closed, you must connect it to an external display, keyboard, and mouse. The power adapter must be plugged into the computer and to a power outlet.

To operate your portable computer with an external monitor attached and the display closed:
    Connect a USB keyboard and mouse to your portable.
    Connect the power adapter to the portable and a power outlet.
    Close the portable display to put the computer to sleep.
    Connect your portable to an external display.
    Wait a few seconds and then press any key on the external keyboard to wake the portable.
    See also
    portable computer
    ---------------------------------------------
    Preventing your computer from sleeping
    You can prevent your computer from going to sleep if you need it to continue performing a task, such as burning a CD or DVD.

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and then click Energy Saver.
    If necessary, click Show Details, then click Sleep.
    Drag the slider that controls the computer's sleep to "Never."
    When the computer finishes the task, you should change the settings in Energy Saver preferences so that your computer will go to sleep when it's not in use.

See also
    Energy Saver
    sleep
    Open this for me
    Energy Saver preferences

4. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

yeah, already looked at those, im more looking for a option like windows has where it asks you what to do when you close the lid.

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

A bit ghetto, but I think if you just put some tape over the slots where the latches pop out from, it'll work. But I think it'll leave the display on, as well. Not to mention that you lose the latches to keep the lid shut. But I'm 95% sure that they're what trigger the 'lid closed' indicator.

AFAIK, there's no built-in way to control what happens with the screen closed, but I'm sure there's some third-party software out there that can do it.

6. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Firehed I'm afraid to tell you that your 95% sureness doesn't really count for buggary... (yeah I'm feeling like a cocky little sod today :D)

I'm 100% sure that there's a nice little magnetic reed sensor under either your right arrow key or speaker at the right hand side, best way to prevent your system going to sleep when the lid is closed is to slip a small piece of sheet steel betwixt lid and bottom.

you can find exactly where the sensor is by waving a magnet of some sort over the places I said, On my 12" G4PB it's just about the right arrow/end key but on larger PBs it was in the speaker area, as with MBPs and MBs...

There is just incase anyone care a magnet in the receiving hole for the latch to swing the metal latch down from its resting position it's purpose is purely to act mechanically and also to occasionally thud against my belt buckle or trap my jewellery in it's invisible grasp.

7. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

the magnet for the lid sensor is behind the LCD

how do I know? because mine was buggered and had to be fixed, Apple care told me the problem and what they did to fix it

8. Lorquis

Ah on my 12" G4PB it's in the bezel above the right arrow key, and sensor is under said key... figured it was much the same on all, especially all alu made apple lappys

9. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

I would say that the best way to have your MB or MBP NOT sleep when the lid is closed is to have a bluetooth keyboard linked up to it and just press a key on the keyboard after you close the lid. - That combined with your power setting will keep it awake just fine.

But then - that's just me.

10. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

and if you have a password set?

11. Lorquis

If you're on this forum and require to see a screen to see a blanked out password being typed... there's something wrong with ya!

12. Fod

so, you have never, ever typed a password out wrongly?

13. Lorquis

very very rarely, I mostly type while looking at the tv anyway, kinda on autopilot... so it's very very rare I ever type something like my password incorrectly considering I must enter it roughly about 100 times a day as I constantly shut my PB and pick it up again to do something else...

The only times really that my password doesn't register quite right are when it goes into spinny beachball mode while waiting for the auth prompt to come up, but that's just cause I'm impatient.

Another way you could do it is to disable requiring auth on wake and just plug and unplug something like a USB key, ipod, phone etc. That'll normally wake it up again...

14. Fod

fair dos, i guess because i have a plethora of different passwords and multiple systems, its a little more tricky for me :p

and disable authentication?! thanks but no thanks :S

15. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

if you have power cord plugged in, unplug, replug does it as well

16. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

magnetic sensor is on the right side about half way up the bezel for the display on the 17" MBP, found that out when it picked up a screw that was laying on my desk

i have also been looking to keep the system awake while the lid is closed.

closing the lid and then pressing a button on an external keyboard will only wake it if there is an external display attached (as far as i have been able to discover) and this isnt always possible/practical.

would love to find a way though

Last edited: 28 Jun 2007
Tags: