1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple MBP weird speeds

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by kenco_uk, 15 Feb 2013.

1. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

This is really bugging me. Since getting Fibre broadband installed I've been going spare.

On my MacBook Pro, the first day I had Fibre, it was brilliant. As soon as the engineer walked out the door, I uninstalled the PlusNet router and installed my own TP-Link 4300 and it worked at full pelt wirelessly. I restarted the router later into the evening and my speed plummeted to half of what it was (73-ish down to 35-ish). This caused much disappointment and I put the blame on the isp. The next day it was the same so raised a ticket which prompted me to try a speed test. The speedtest said to plug in via lan cable and the speeds were normal, i.e. 70-odd mbps. Over wifi though it stuck at less than half. So tonight I tried another router (Asus R65U) and over wifi the download speeds were shocking, 1mbps if that. Stranger though is the upload speeds have always stuck to 14-17mbps, no matter what the download speeds have been.

Very weird.

So I guess there must be something up with the wifi card in my MBP. It was always 100% fine before Fibre though and on the first afternoon I had Fibre it was blistering along. I wonder if the speed perhaps did something to it? I've also tried it in bootcamp, using Windows drivers. Still the same.

I've just tried a usb Edmiax wifi adapter and I get far better download speeds (about 20mbps).
    So the internal card has gone wrong or the chipset it uses doesn't like the wireless routers I've fed it so far.

One other thing I've noticed is that even with the Edimax USB, it connects at 72mbps but the download speed sticks to 20mbps. That's all it attains. The Broadcom-based Wifi in my MBP connects at 144mbps but, as I say, the d/l speed is at best 1-2mbps (u/l is 17mbps).

I've tried various router settings, even setting 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz to 40Mhz and the Broadcom Wifi connecting at 300mbps, it still only downloads at 1-2mbps.

Maybe someone here has come across this strange issue?

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Hmmmmmm.....! Just rebooted into osx and I'm now getting full speed downloads :thumb: ?? **** knows.