1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meca the HTPC (or the Record Player) updated July 19th

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by backseatmiddlehump, 2 May 2004.

1. backseatmiddlehump

backseatmiddlehump What's a Dremel?

What I wanted was a computer that did not look like a computer and a case that could hold a full size MoBo and multiple PCI cards. So this is what I found (on E-Bay for $20 US).
    [​IMG]

So then I gutted it
    [​IMG]

And then I made a bottom
    [​IMG]
    I used Lexan cause it is easy to cut, drill, tap, and what not. I will also be using it a bit down the road on this project.

Then I fixed the lexan to the bottom of the record player and mounted the mother board
    [​IMG]

I also made a back
    [​IMG]
    This isn't all the way complete yet

This is the DVD burner that will be installed. I framed with my air soft guns cause I thought the box was kinda boring
    [​IMG]

Here is the DVD moded
    [​IMG]
    This is not all the way done, but good enough for a pic

This is my first operational test
    [​IMG]
    And it works!!!

That is all I have for right now. This is my first Major Mod and first posting, so be gentle and remeber a clean workplace is a happy workplace
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Jul 2004
  2. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

what are the specs?
    do u plan on placing a fan to cool it down, or are you going to run it passively

other than that it looks pretty good :thumb:

3. backseatmiddlehump

It is a p4 3.0 and I went with the ASUS p4p800 deluxe for the MoBo. The vid card is a all-in-wonder 9600. I also have a 512 stick of DDR 400 ram. Stuff that I still need to get; sound card-gonna go with a audgy 2, and hard drive-that is going to be a SATA 250 gig (undecided on brand). The hard drives will continue to be added as I run out of room (why I wanted available PCI slots)

As for the cooling, I am going to run two case fans (one intake and one exhaust). They will be mounted later. And of course the proc fan that is already in place.

4. Mondak

Mondak What's a Dremel?

Great job on this thing so far. I am curious about things like airflow and any lighting you might use on a case like this. it would be cool to have a subtle orange / yellow / off white glow that was like some vacuum tubes or something. I am also curious about your power switch and what you will use. Good work.

5. Shrapnill

Shrapnill What's a Dremel?

Looks great. I always enjoy the old stereo conversions.

I just had to post this tho:

I think my P99 is a bit more intimidating... :naughty:
    [​IMG]

6. Xeno

Xeno What's a Dremel?

/me scares :waah:

Case is looking nice, at least...if you call it I case. :hehe:. Keep up the good work! :thumb:

~Xeno~

7. backseatmiddlehump

At first I was going to have zero lighting, but then I thought, I'm going to have to illuminate the tuner numbers (the thing that has the numbers for the radio station you are on, no idea what it is called). Then you said vacuum tubes and that is also a good idea-Thanks.

As for the airflow, you will have to stay mistified until I get there.

8. backseatmiddlehump

Not much new, I mounted the power supply and dvd burner. I know it does not look like much but the power supply took me a while. I removed the AUX cable (what does AUX mean anywho?) cause I am not going to use it. I also replaced the AC cables with some longer ones with QDs incase the power supply ever goes bad. I thought PSU fan made made too much noise so that is why it is naked (just going to use case cooling).
    So here are the pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 20 May 2004
  9. Xipher

Xipher What's a Dremel?

IIRC, AUX = Auxiliary

10. Frink

Frink What's a Dremel?

I had this same idea a few months ago, except with a different record player. Never did go through with it, but nice choice on the record player. Looking forward to seeing this mod progress.

11. gello

gello What's a Dremel?

wow i see u use the zalman ALCU cooler!!! great choise :rock:

12. backseatmiddlehump

Yeah that thing is no joke. Quiet and effective. One of my dilemmas is actually how to mount the fan controller (internal or external).

13. Hephaistus

Hephaistus What's a Dremel?

I would go for external if you can integrate it , otherwise internal :p

14. backseatmiddlehump

Sorry it has been so long without an update but I have gotten some work done since then. Well I built a harddrive/dvd mounting device. The legs were cut with a dremel I used JB weld to mount the spacers onto the hard drive holder thingy
    [​IMG]

Then I did some touching up with the dremel and got this
    [​IMG]
    Had to redo the JB weld like four times. what a pain.

Some more touching up and some paint and
    [​IMG]
    TADA

Since I was painting
    [​IMG]

This is my DVD Burner (why not)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for the depressing news my mobo and power supply went bye bye. The power supply went in a mod gone wrong (might post, haven't decided). Okay, so heres how it went down; My mother light came on but nothing else so I started trouble shooting the way of beep codes. When I got to the, remove your processor part and listen for beeps
    [​IMG]
    KABOOM!!!

Here is some new stuff I got in the mail
    [​IMG]
    Although, the main thing I am waiting on now is my Mother Board to get back.

As an added not, there was a major improvement in my mod station this weekend.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    If you look closely you can see my old power supply

After
    [​IMG]
    The little man is mister F.O. Bag and he is where I hide all my screws
    My new power supply is also in the picture, along with a bunch of other stuff.

And that is all I have for right now so until next time.

15. backseatmiddlehump

Some new stuff. I painted the lexan bottom put green felt on the bottom and then mounted everything that I had. Here are some pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is where I am at right now. Initialy I had all the wires for the psu in that flexable going thru copper tubing but since the mobo incident I lost all my nerve on that (hence the new power supply). So any way, does anyone know where I can get some tubular copper sleeving (not tined). If I cannot find any I am just going to use black sleeving.

Before anyone says anything, I know the bottom is scratched and I do plan to buff it out along with the rest of the case.

Well that is all for now. I am on my way to lowes (also looking for some bulgin switches which home depot dosen't have) to see if they have anything for the foot department.

Let me know what you guys think.

16. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

That looks realy nice, like the colour!
    2bad youre mobo fried..

17. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

Is that copper paint strong? Some times ago i used chrome paint, but thats become dirty as soon as you press with your fingers on it. than it more looks like silver/grey. but maybe copper-color hasn't that bad complication?

18. backseatmiddlehump

The paint is great. You just got to make sure to hold the can up right or the copper flake clups.

19. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

cool case... look forward to seeing the finished prod.

20. shottycalledit

shottycalledit What's a Dremel?

But why an old record player? Was there something that warranted this? Or was it just a spark of genius? :hip:

Last edited: 7 Jun 2004