1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Mech nerds... GTFIH! [Hawken new news] [BETA!]

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 11 Mar 2011.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Agreed!

I find traditional mech fests a total slog, but this is great fun!

Not sure about how much depth it has though, only time will tell I guess.

2. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Thats what I have been playing.
    ?
    Small? They got at least 28M to play with.

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

They had the core build done with only 9 people. Once they picked up additional funding and momentum, they expanded. The core was already there with that.

Yes, with MWO you have the variety of mechs, but to me I couldn't really get the mechs right, nothing felt 'right' so to speak. I've tried the Atlas, Jenner, Catapult and they were generally quite specific. I've only put in a few hours into MWO, but it really just didn't grab my interest.

In Hawken, simply having the 3 mech sizes and the small array of weapons that I could use was more adjustable to my playstyle. I use a powerful rifle mixed with a machine gun that lets me find my perch to snipe targets at range covering my team on an objective, putting down turrets for personal defence and the MG for when I need to step in and get into the middle of things to help with point capture. Deeply satisfying to take a medium build and be able to go up against 2 light mechs and a heavy and still be able to come out on top.

In terms of Mechwarrior, I'm more interested in MechWarrior Tactics, than MWO.

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    But did you even customizes a mech?
    I am waiting to see.
    I did enjoy immensely "MechCommander" and "The Revenge of Crescent Hawks".

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I did customise a few of them as best I could. The Catapult with dual PPCs was my favourite loadout due to the massive pain that it would dish out, but generally, I just didn't enjoy the game. Hawken, for me, is where the Mech fun is at currently.

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Ok. Lets not derail the thread any more.
    Still, disappointed by the lack of mech feel.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I actually think the Mech feel is great. I really do feel like I'm a massive hulking machine - just not a slow one.

8. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Been in the Hawken alphas since the get-go. Definitely a fun game, it's not meant to be a mech simulator like MWO, and the mechs feel like they should- nimble and fast as envisioned from the start. The game pays far more tribute to Japanese Mecha then what the West has done with Battletech/Mechwarrior (which drew initially upon Japanese Mecha).

It's definitely not like MWO, and I like it that way. I can jump in and have a quick match or two and hop out having had a good time. I can't say the same for MWO, I've been disappointed with its direction so far, and don't particularly enjoy the game play. It's clunky, the maps are not ideally suited for mech combat, the collision system is odd, and the developer is trying to squeeze every penny out of players through Pay2Win by allowing you to buy the top-end mechs (Atlas re: Founders kit).

Aesthetically Hawken is also a very pretty game to look at, the attention to detail is excellent.

9. Bede

Bede Minimodder

It feels like UT2003 in mechs - which is a pretty good thing. The grind seems much, much softer than MWO's too. MWO is much more sophisticated in terms of teamwork, team composition and mech speccing, but I know which game I'd rather jump into for a quick bit of fun.

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    140kph is slow?
    You have open areas and closed areas. Just need to choose where you are more confortable playing and for what task your mech is customized to.
    Collision system is currently removed so that developers fix the fallen-mech-teleport issue.
    You can buy mechs with real money or virtual money. The only difference is the speed you get the mech you want. XP though is only gained through playing the game, essential to boost mech operation.
    It is. The game has a very particular pleasing style.
    Disagree. If they were some sort of power suits it would work better. Mechs, no.
    While playing I had the impression of playing Brink.

11. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

So it's pay to win, if someone with money can get an Atlas right away, and someone without money is stuck at first with the default Awesome- then they have a competitive advantage, particularly given the spec of the Atlas.

I'm all for micro-transactions- when they're aesthetic, not game changing. You can still XP grind, but if the amount doesn't correlate to a reasonable expenditure of time, then it's not worth the effort.

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    It is not.
    "Pay to win" happens when a player needs to spend real money to get some in-game item that affects gameplay (in this case mechs, weapons, ammo, equipment, etc) that is unavailable to gamers who dont spend real money. That is not the case.
    Currently, everybody can pilot an Atlas. It is one of the four trial mechs available.
    I am not sure if you understand the concept behind MWO. There isnt one Atlas variant or one Awesome variant, currently there are 3 Atlas and 5 Awesomes variants available, not counting hundreds of customized/personalized variants. Having 20 tons advantage doesnt make the Atlas the winner of an Atlas-Awesome battle. Its all about the pilot skill. I have defeated Atlas (100t) with my Commando (25t) one-on-one at least twice (one time with some help from a Catapults LRM).

13. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

I do. And so far, I don't like anything about it.

14. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

Open beta is out

15. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Downloading it as I type.

Their servers were obviously being annihilated yesterday.

Looking forward to the open beta, whilst still going in well aware that it is still in beta. The previous beta versions I played were a tremendous amount of fun.

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Meant to pick this up in closed beta, I really enjoyed playing the closed Alpha.

17. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

There's been a lot of server work today (servers down for patching as I type) but it is getting there. I played during CB2&3 and I've been loving it.
    Now that it's open, it's definitely worth signing up and giving it a go :thumb:

18. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

Well I downloaded hawken this afternoon and have encountered a slight problem that has also been reported by some users on Hawkins forums,

My gpu usage goes up to 100% whilst in the menus and in game and my temps skyrocket (higher than under furmark) then the computer shuts down on me.
    All the while there is massive coil whine from the 670.

I guess the beta must just be quite poorly optimised.

19. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Compared to speeds routinely over 1,000kph in Armored Core 4/For Answer it is. :D

But the two aren't really meant to be the same experience, I just bring it up for a fun comparison.

This is something I'm somewhat worried/excited about with Hawken's setting and mecha fiction. As a first person shooter it could be easy to lose the sense of being in a hulking robot. Definitely got to download the beta now that it's open and try it out first hand.

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    You played Brink?