1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I never did come back here and update everyone on the TypeMatrix, did I? Well, here goes.

I MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE. Dear *god* it's a nightmare. It turns out that my touch-typing isn't Proper Actual Aproved Touch-Typing, and therefore completely useless with the TypeMatrix layout. If I could be bothered to relearn to type, or made the jump to something completely different like DVORAK, it'd probably do wonders for my RSI - but I just ain't got the time. So, I'm back on the Filco.

Expect to see the TypeMatrix in the marketplace any day now, along with the Ducky Premier DK9008P I didn't get on with (minus the Cheese 'n Chive keycaps, which I've stolen and put on the Filco.)

2. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

Split boards are all well and good if you touch type "properly" but I had the same problem I with the Ergodox; I used my right finger for b, which you can't do if the b key is on the a totally separate part of the keyboard.

I used it as a way of improving my touch typing discipline though, it took about a month to train myself to use the proper finger, I still sometimes reach down and left with my right index finger and hit nothing though :D.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Split I could cope with - I used a US-layout Microsoft Natural knock-off for years - but the TypeMatrix is... special.

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

No fair. I want my Dolch!

Mine is going to Jinq-sea, so hopefully ours turns up soon too :)

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Margon-Man, did you get my PM?

6. JaccoW

JaccoW Overspender on keyboards

Shameless crosspost:
    Picked up my set today. Some (alright I lied, ALOT!) of pics :D
    (As always, click them for the original resolution)

[​IMG]
    Dolch Base set

[​IMG]
    Color pack

[​IMG]
    Set on the Orion

[​IMG]
    Red backlight

[​IMG]
    Backlit in the dark

[​IMG]
    With the color pack

[​IMG]
    Maximum CYAN!

[​IMG]
    !!! (Look at it with this song in the back. )

[​IMG]
    Money shot

[​IMG]
    What's this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cherry Esc parade :p

[​IMG]
    SkiData, Color pack + GID relegendables

[​IMG]
    Comparison of modifier legends on keys. Arrow is the most readable and just the text is hard to read sometimes.
    This might be due to the colors or perhaps because one of the molds is more worn.
    I believe the molds for text + legend are the most readable and look best in the end. :)

7. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

Very nice, what board is that?

I've got a set on the way but I'm still not 100% sure if I'm going to keep it yet...I have plenty of nice vintage Cherry sets (and another one in the post) and could do with making a dent in the old credit card bill before Crimbo...I'll wait and see what it looks like in person I guess.

8. JaccoW

It's a Duck Orion TKL. Assembly courtesy of our local solderswashbuckler Margo. ;)

I'm not sure what I will do with the Dolch either as it was never my favourite colour scheme. But I just wanted in on this opportunity, especially with the color pack. At the very least it's a very classy set so maybe I will put it on a work board in the future.

9. wecrookie

wecrookie Minimodder

Hi guys, looking a bit of help here pls. I has aVengance K60which I'm happy enough using.

Having eventually read through these posts I thought I'd ask for some advice on maybe changing my l
    layout if it's at all possible.What I'd like to do if at all possible is to end up with something like this;

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/900x511q90/745/5h9POF.jpg

This is from LennyRhys post back on page 1083.I realise that the keyset he has used may not be suitable for my keyboard but am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.If it's not possible to do on my keyboard just tell me to go away & I will return to the shadows from whence i came from:D

thx in advance wecrookie:confused:

10. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

The K60 is difficult because the bottom row of keys is a funny mix of sizes. The spacebar is very difficult to replace. The easiest route, if you're interested in starting down the road of custom keycap sets, is to replace the board with something from ducky/filco/one of the CM board with a standard layout

11. wecrookie

wecrookie Minimodder

So your telling me to go away & hide:D
    It's a pity that it's all odd sizes on the bottom row.It's not like I don't enjoy using my keyboard, I was hoping i could bling it up a wee bit:D
    I'm not sure if I could afford to go down the road of multiple keyboards.I've seen what it's done to some peeples here:worried:

Any suggestions on keyboards just to keep me dreaming?Oh and be kind to my pocket if you can pls.

thx in advance wecrookie:confused:

12. Yslen

Definitely don't go away and hide, come join the community :D

You could buy replacement alphas - just the 37 letters - and keep the rest of the keys as you have them. The keycaps you have now are "OEM" profile, so they're quite tall. You can find OEM profile alphas in a number of places, if you're interested in going down that route. Trouble is, the fonts probably wouldn't match, and neither the keys you have now or most OEM replacements will be particularly special in terms of quality.

If you can find a buyer for your K60 and find a used board to replace it with that's in good condition that might be a relatively cheap way to go.

There are a few Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid boards that appear on ebay from time to time, usually sell for less than 50 quid. Ducky and filco are the usual suspects otherwise, unless you want a smaller form factor board such as a V60 mini or a poker II.

13. wecrookie

wecrookie Minimodder

That's the trouble it's not just the letters i want to change.

Not sure if i'd go smaller i like my keys :)I like the look of some of those Ducky boards.May be time to start saving pennies....

yours wecrookie:confused:

14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

wecrookie, now there's a blast from the Dennis forums past :)

15. wecrookie

wecrookie Minimodder

I've been loitering :worried:

yours wecrookie:confused:

16. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

17. JaccoW

18. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

yeah I saw the clack sale this morning before I went to work. Loads of unobtainium there :D

19. Yslen

Still not a fan of novelty keycaps :p Definitely some craftsmanship there though, impressive detail.

20. Yslen

You know sometimes when you say something... and everyone goes quiet?

:/