1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Yep, HHKB is just a really nice experience. picked it up last time I was in tokyo, and wish I had picked up a JP edition as well. It's the only board I have that I wouldn't like to see changed somehow. The WASD could use backlighting :idea: , Pure should have Ctrl moved :grr: 1800 doesn't speak USB so can't be used with my laptop dock :sigh:

As for parting with my 1800.... I could be tempted to trade for a modified raptor if you're really interested?

I also have a heavy blue metal 60% case that I really should get round to selling/trading as I don't use it. I had no standoffs when I got it and although I have picked some up since, I've never done anything with it - blue not my thing any more. noticed you are short a 60% case so let me know if interested.

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

HHKB is perfect layout, once you've used one for a while you want to make all your other boards have the same layout, as it just makes so much sense!

How would you want the raptor to be modified?

What does the case look like? have you got pics?

3. GMC

GMC Minimodder

I couldn't get how much better Ctrl is to be on that row, but after a few weeks with hhkb it really came home to me how much more comfortable it is for everything, copy, paste etc. And dont get me started on a £ with Ctrl alt shift 4. Just try that one to find out how much easier it is with Ctrl in place of caps lock.
    I'm rambling now.

On the raptor i'd want clears :D
    backlighting in yellow or orange but suspect that might not be possible.

Can take a pix of the case and email. Pm me your email addy.

Edit: Oooh! 1,000th post. Yay for me!

Last edited: 25 Mar 2015
  4. Margo Baggins

I will PM you in a mo.

I'm not actually interested in the clears much ,as I have heaps of them - Swap the clears off your 1800 with the blacks on a Raptor and BOOM. LED mod not very easily possible - if you wanted to do that you should just pick up a Leeku PCB that would make life very easy. They are just quite hard to "pick up" theres just been a gb including them but it's closed now.

I don't even really want the caps off the 1800, I want to keep the french caps on the raptor as that's mainly what I got it for - so I could swap you capless raptor for capless 1800, but with the switches swapped? So clear raptor, black 1800.

5. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Sounds like a deal. PM me and I'll send the 1800 capless, you send back the raptor capless with clears in it? I'll even throw in the din-ps2 adaptor :)

Then I can use 1800 layout anywhere , just need to find some bottom row caps.

I dont solder and have really not got time for another hobby/thing to learn so pretty much any mod to a kb is off the table for me :(

6. Margo Baggins

Sounds tremendous :) The raptors aren't landing until next week, beginning of, so it will be about 10 days until I get the raptor back to you.

Indeed you can! Raptor is USB with NKRO :) Thanks man!

edit: raptors will be with me on friday, so I should be able to turn your board around quick and get it back to you :)

7. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

My collection has been pared back quite a bit... I sold off quite a lot of boards. I only kept the more interesting ones.
    GH60 rev A
    Commodore Cherry G80-0499
    Cherry G80-0566
    Ford Systems Technology 938
    Schlumberger Cherry G80-1246
    Goupil Cherry G80-1861HAU
    Cherry ESA-3000HASRO

I'll also have 2 more GH60 and a RedScarf III whenever they get here. There is also a project board from an old Zenith terminal which currently lacks a controller, which would be an MX 60% nkro with a layout being fairly similar to the old Apple m0110.

____
    Trading a Raptor K1 for a standard 2KRO 1800 is a pretty good trade. Finding 1x mods in doubleshots in white/black is going to be super easy... in black/beige not so much. Might be able to find someone willing to part with the 1x mods from CMYK or RGB packs though.

8. Margo Baggins

I love the 1246, it's such an awesome layout. I didn't realise you had 0499 too. 3000HASRO is lovely too! did you get it from alles4pc when he was selling a bunch?

Oh yeah Redscarf! I need to sort my redscarf with JD.

EDIT: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/triumph-adler-gmk-keyset hadn't realised this was live - buy this. probably won't get a chance to again!

9. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

TA set looks amazing, and I'd totally go for it... except that on a modern standard layout board it has a mixed profile bottom row :( Real shame because it looks amazing, but I don't want to spend so much on something that'll irk me every time I use it.

10. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

yeah I got the HASRO from that German place earlier on before the price went super high.
    I still think it's too bad they didn't go for the original colors that it supposed to look like on the TA sets. The right colors look so much nicer. Duplicating age discoloration is just strange. The discolored color is not as nice, so it makes me pass on it.

11. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

Makes you wonder what the fake discoloured set will look like when it discolours....

12. Falco2073

Falco2073 Minimodder

I've got a Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Cherry Red at home, but I want to look into getting a mechanical keyboard for work, because the Saitek Cyborg I'm using doesn't feel nice in comparison. What cheap and cheerful mech keyboard would you guys recommend?

The only requirement is that I do need the numpad as I'm a software developer and I would be lost without it!

13. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Cherry g80-3000 would be my suggestion :)

14. shrop

shrop El Jefe of Sleeving

I'm here brother, what would you like to know?

I am contemplating one for myself, but I may wait and get another V60, but with greens I think. I also have to get my order for the RS75% board thing. Got 3 coming in to build! :D

15. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Or a G80-1800. Might look funky at first but the layout is fantastic for getting work done. I find traditional layout full size boards really wide since the first day i used an 1800

16. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Just curious whether they're diatec oem boards, if it's possible to tell by looking. Costar stabs? Cable fixed or detachable? Not important questions, I'm just curious :p

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

17. Margo Baggins

I mainly want the TA set to use with my OG pbt TA sets, I think it will be tremendous.

Though that was my justification for getting the cyan set. Oops.

18. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

Whilst we've got you pinned down here :)D) do you know if ISO versions of the V60/80 with Mattias switches are on the cards?

19. Margo Baggins

is the V80 just a costar TKL board?

20. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

LED positions look about right, I think the case looks a little different though going by some other pictures I've seen that I can't find at the moment...

edit - some good internal shots in that review, doesn't look Costar to me unless they've radically redesigned their case.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2015