1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

I'm thinking of buying myself a mechanical keyboard but so far I'm struggling to find something that ticks every box for me. I really like the aesthetics of stealth keycaps but I also like having a backlight sometimes for when I'm sitting alone in the dark of night contemplating my mortality.

I found the Quick Fire Rapid-SI which offers both, but it's a TKL board and I'd really like a full size or at least something with the cursor keys integrated into the number pad. I'd also like a few macro keys ideally. I couldn't see anything on the Cooler Master site that offered that and I wondered if any of you know of anything that does, or possibly somewhere that sells the stealth caps that work with lighting so that I could modify a different board?

2. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I jumped on the mechanical bandwagon, last week, might be my best hardware decision since my 120hz monitor.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Coolermaster do a Quick Fire TK Stealth

Might be hard to find though.

4. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Yeah I know about those, I could get hold of one with browns for about £80, but they're not backlit like the Rapid-SI.

5. David

There is a backlit version, according to CM's website

6. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

That's just the status LEDs for Caps lock and stuff and the arrow keys, it's not fully backlit unfortunately or I'd have ordered the one I found.

[​IMG]

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Is the Razor Black widow Chroma any good?

My lad really wants one and they are 50% off tomorrow.

He wants a Mechanical keyboard with rgb illumination.

8. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I want to know the same.

I've read a bit that the switches are cheapo cherry knockoffs.
    I know the reputation that Razer have within the industry and, at retail price, I avoid them like the plague. 50% off though, is still 50% off.

9. David

They use Kaihl switches, iirc. To be honest, most of the slating is just Cherry MX snobbery.

I used one for a couple of hours and it felt fine to type on - although, I'm not a fan of Razer styling and they were the green clicky switches (similar to MX Blues). If that doesn't bother you and they are going cheap, grab one.

10. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

I heard those green Kaihls on the Razer feel heavier than the stated 50g, is that true?

That wouldn't be a bad thing for me, I'd quite like a board with mx greens actually they're just not easy to come by.

At half price I'm tempted to pick up a Chroma too but I'm put off slightly by the fact it's Razer. I've heard a lot of bad things about their products over the years, though I've never used them myself, so I'm concerned about build quality and longevity.

11. TaZ

TaZ What's a Dremel?

Half price where chaps? I'm still teetering on the edge of buying my first mech board

Sent from my Xperia Z5

12. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

13. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

https://insider.razerzone.com/index.php?threads/insider-ces-2016-appreciation-event.10666/

downside being you have to sign up to not one, but two razer websites, link the two and then you are eligible. Sale starts at 0900 tomorrow.

Oh, the other downside is that it's still a razer product so it's 50/50 if it breaks in the first couple of months.

14. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Thanks, I hadn't realised you had to request a code for it, I thought it was just a regular sale.

15. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Just tried to buy the Chroma, it sold out within three minutes apparently :(

16. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I've decided to steer clear. £70 is still a big chunk of money to spend on something that might break if you look at it the wrong way.

17. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yup same here, what a crock of sh!t probably had like 3 in stock, stuff you razer.

Doesn't encourage me to buy anything from them again.

Fake sale in my eyes.

Plus originally £139.99 for a keyboard that only has 1 year warranty :wallbash:.

My lad is gonna be livid when he gets in.

18. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

I was pi**ed off too, I agonised over it yesterday, read reviews and watched loads of videos, decided to go for it, then got excited about it, only to have it snatched away. I'm especially annoyed as it was in stock when I started the checkout process, so it was sold from under me while in my basket. They should temporarily hold the stock once it's in your basket like Amazon do with Lightning Deals.

I contacted Razer on Facebook to moan and they referred me to customer support, who annoyed me further by limiting me to 500 characters.

I'll see what they say but I don't expect it to result in a keyboard.

Check out what the Facebook rep had the nerve to say to me though:

19. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Lol another awesome product, he really typed that?

20. TaZ

TaZ What's a Dremel?

Oh dear. So glad I didn't even bother trying now

Sent from my Xperia Z5