1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

You misunderstood I do not like black keyboards.

4. Vault-Tec

One is a set of black keycaps only. One is a white Ducky keyboard and the last one is white caps. What exactly is it I don't understand dude? You don't like Black switches?

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I asked for keyboard suggestion and you linked to keycaps which I am very grateful for particularly the white ones.

6. Vault-Tec

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

How on earth did I miss that, doh? Cheers.

Edit: I don't think the keycaps you linked to would look right in that board as the caps are sitting a recess.

Last edited: 21 Feb 2018
  8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Something to bare in mind, as with my K70 with Cherry Reds, it is a lot more noisy to type on a Mechanical keyboard vs a traditional run of the mill types. ;)

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I love the racket a mech board makes. I like brown switch myself though blue and red also work.

Last edited: 21 Feb 2018
    Guest-44432 likes this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Yeah I love the clicky clack too.

Well I thought about it, and I really don't want to use that junk keyboard I have that Glenn sent me the Corsair keys for. It feels proper nasty.

I had a little bit of cash left over, and have spent the entire day looking at boards etc. In the end I realised just how much I love my Magicforce. I am so "at home" with it that I really did not want to come to my mother's and be stuck on some gash board, or alien board that felt odd and I continually had to keep correcting my type. Then I spotted this, for £23.99 :O

[​IMG]

Couldn't believe it. It is running on Blacks, but that sort of change I do fancy trying out. Link in case any interest.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A9QP0MC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seriously, I feel like I just mugged some one. It's weighty, good switches, lovely stock keys and feels fantastic to type on. I actually had a budget of £75 for a KB, so, like my other one..

[​IMG]

I decided to make it mine. I wanted something very cheerful and happy, and have had my eye on these for ages and ages. They are Mionix "French Fries"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Total outlay was £74. I know 100% I can totally trust the board. So yeah, well pleased :)

11. Vault-Tec

Wow, blacks are very strange ! no click, nothing. Feels very odd :D At least the layout is identical to my one with blues in.

12. Vault-Tec

Well it turns out that the KB I bought probably doesn't have Blacks, because all of the switches are brown. lol.

I also found out that Mionix keys suck, for a few reasons. Firstly they only have the primary function of the button printed on them (which isn't a huge deal) but secondly the colour of the numbers and letters of the print is almost the same colour as the key itself meaning I had to use a bloody torch to see them. Again, this isn't the worst of their crimes. What is is that instead of doing things like a Windows logo they just put a dot. Literally .. This was annoying because it took ages to sort out what went where.

It was more of a puzzle than a key swap. They also feel rather light and flimsy, but are OK once on.

13. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Wiggly

[​IMG]

Vault-Tec likes this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Buckling springs rule! :grin:

LennyRhys and Vault-Tec like this.
  15. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

First forray into mech keyboards with a Das Keyboard 4 Pro for work. Very much like the feel of it (Cherry MX Brown switches) and it doesn't clickedy clack too bad at all.

16. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Anyone able to recommend a cap set at all for the layout below?

[​IMG]

finally got the board i have been waiting for for 3+ years from Bunny (not the keyboard i actually ordered but its a better one so i will take that)

But as its a 45% i dont have a bunch of the bottom row keys and some of the mod keys as well.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Loving having my Model F back, even if I'm remembering why I stopped using it (mainly the lack of a proper cursor and Home set, F11, F12, Alt. Gr., and a couple of other keys.) Remapped a few things to help, though: Caps Lock now acts as the missing Super (while Shift-Caps Lock actually triggers Caps Lock, in the unlikely event I need Caps Lock), and I've put the backtick where the caret would normally be 'cos I use it more often.

18. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Why wouldn't you need caps lock? Have you seen how often people are wrong on the internet? HAVE YOU?! I held onto shift for that.

LennyRhys and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What I should build is a dinky, thin, Arduino-based keypad that can sit on the shelf at the top of the keyboard and offer me the missing keys (well, maybe not the cursor keys, but at least F11, F12, Alt. Gr, and the like.)

Hmm: does pressing a modifier on Keyboard A then another key on Keyboard B actually work? <digs out spare keyboard to find out>

EDIT:
    ³ - Hey, it does - that's handy! Reet, that's my next Hobby Tech project sorted. Got an Arduino Leonardo around here somewhere, too...

20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I love that the easiest solution to "I need an extra key on my keyboard" is to attach an entire additional computer to it.

Byron C likes this.