1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I think it might be time for me to start considering a new keyboard, unless I can get my space bar fixed. It sometimes doesn't activate correctly and needs to be pressed pretty hard to get it to work. I think it may just be loose, so I'll mess with it later...

Any suggestions before I start looking into a new board? :D

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Depends. Are you handy with a soldering iron?

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Half and half... :D

It seems to have been resolved (for now) by messing with the way that it sits on the board. Maybe it was never seated correctly after replacing the caps.

4. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I still have a JD40 kit (titanium plates, board, some bits) sat in a cupboard and unlikely to ever get assembled. Anyone want to take this off my hands? A related question - how much is such a kit worth these days?

Also, hi! Haven't been here in ages, hope everyone's well :)

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'd be interested, depends on what sort of price it's worth tho :)

PS, wb!

6. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

i'd be interested; i wanted a jd40 but was never able to get hold of one. I take it it still wants switches?

7. Yslen

Yes, although I do have some switches around here somewhere. Blues, possibly. I'll dig it all out tomorrow if there's some interest. I've actually got two fully built JD40's as well, but I'm not sure I want to part with one... not that they get used much, if I'm honest!

8. Yslen

"Tomorrow" was a bit optimistic, but I have now located the kit among the chaos of my cupboards. Will get some pics up this week.

adrock likes this.
  9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Does anyone have any recommendations for kits? Want somehting heavily moddable - can solder and have an AVR programmer.

10. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place but I am looking for a replacement for my long-serving Corsair K60 Vengeance.

A couple of keys have started to stick, most likely from a small spillage yonks ago, it is about 5 years old. I love the aluminium base of the K60, great solidity. This model has MX Red switches, I've never used any other mechanical k/b so I don't know what they are like. I don't game much any more, it is mostly used for typing - from what I read I would probably be better off with MX Brown switches? To be honest I find (after 5 years) no problem typing on the reds but open to suggestions/changing.

I know that older k/b's could survive a trip through the dishwasher but I doubt you can do that anymore. Other than the sticky keys it is working perfectly.

I need a full sized replacement, I don't want/need RGB but backlit keys would be nice (but not essential). I use the k/b through an Avocent KVM and some k/b's need a bios setting or switch to run in a certain mode to be used with KVM's - this is a show stopper, I have to use the KVM.

What can anyone recommend that isn't hundreds of pounds of multi-coloured plastic sh1te?

Feel free to ask any questions...

Last edited: 29 Jan 2019
  11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Jumped on the TheKey.Company G1800 kit for my first non-off-the-shelf keyboard, but now I need to get keycaps sorted which appears to be trickier then I thought: the modifier keys and the numpad '0' are all 1U wide which rules out most standard ISO layout kits, and the kits designed for more esoteric layouts (e.g. Ortho) generally lack the other ISO keys or UK numrow keys. And the handful "just put in all the keys" sets remaining are not backlit, defeating the point of not just getting a stock G1800 in the first place.

12. Yslen

Okay okay, 'this week' was also optimistic. But I'm here now and that's what matters, right? One JD40 kit, titanium plates, PCB, various bits including a foamy gasket of some kind which I assume is entirely optional when putting the thing together.

Anyone want to estimate a value? I might be able to source some switches in one of my cupboards if needed but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

p.s. There's a moderate chance the image won't work, in which case I need to remind myself how to do this

Attached Files:

Last edited: 5 Feb 2019
  13. adrock

still interested but i have no idea on value :/ you could post a price check thread in the marketplace.

14. Yslen

Well seeing as literally nobody replied to the IC it might be on you to name your price

15. adrock

Yeah I saw that. I couldn't find any examples of any having sold either. Do you recall what it cost you? I think i recall there being a vast scale in what it could add up to, but i've no idea on specifics.

16. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I've just switched from a Mk1 K70 with reds to a Mk2 K70 with RGB silent reds as I moved the PC into the lounge.

I wish I'd done it sooner as I much prefer the action of the silents, having now experienced them. They feel a lot more linear than regular reds and they're a LOT quieter to boot, which keeps her indoors happy.

17. Yslen

Think I paid £120 or so all things considered. There was a lot of back and forth with different finishes (most were coated, unlike this one, I think) and some weirdness with notches or lack thereof. PM me an offer I guess?

18. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Anyone with a GMK cap set hanging round they no longer need? (note the use of NEED here, not WANT :lol:).

If I'm going to have a proper second keyboard it's going to have some proper caps!

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Bump from the depths! Just received my Keychron V2 from Kickstarter and very impressed, although I hadn't realised I didn't have bluetooth on this desktop... :\

Anyone else pick one of these up? Impressed so far, although it's a little thicker than I thought it would be, so the desk-to-cap height is higher than I'm used to.

20. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Ok I need some advice please.

I'm looking to build a crkbd, I'm going to get the PCB's done by JLCPCB, buy the majority of the parts from Aliexpress and ebay.

It's the perspex plates (top and bottom) that I need the advice.

Has anyone got some recomendations for somewhere to cut the plates from the files in the crkbd github repo that is reliable and wont cost the earth? I'm based in the UK and I do not mind ordering from abroad, as long as they pack the plates well so they do not break when being shipped.

I'm fine with doing PCB top and bottom plates but It'd be nice to have clear perspex, or a translucent colour, providing the price is right.

Thanks in advance.