1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Smegging hell longweight, you're definitely quick off the mark! :eek: It must be something to do with the Ninja keyboard :D

Drop me a PM with the address and I'll chuck them in the post Monday morning.

longweight likes this.
  2. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

just put in an order at WASD

50A O-rings
    Key puller
    Yellow WASD keys
    Red novelty esc key (with the portal guy on it)

looking forward to receiving! cheap postage is awesome, anyone have experience of delivery times to the uk?

3. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I ordered on the 25th January and received them on the 1st February so it looks like a 7 day turnaround. As can be determined from previous posts I received a few more O rings than I needed and I'm more than happy with the keycaps delivered. Now I just need to change all modifier keys to blue and I'll be sweet (and so it begins! :D )

PS: longweight, addressed and good to go. I'll drop them in the box on the way to work Monday morning.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2012
  4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Doesn't look anything special, does it?

[​IMG]

How about now? :naughty:

[​IMG]

I'll be impressed if one of you mechanical keyboard gurus can identify this keboard and tell me what's special about it. ;)

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Looks like a Cherry G80-3000 with MX blue. It has doubleshots keycaps, which alone are worth around $30. Actually more if the bottom keys are doubleshots too. 1.25 doulbeshot modifiers are pretty rare.
    Please don't use pocket knife to pull them... thats a good way to break the stems.
    I'd pull all the caps and toss them in with some denture tabs and get it cleaned up. Nice board.

Last edited: 6 Feb 2012
    LennyRhys likes this.
  6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Very good lysol :thumb: This is also the original "Das Keyboard II" for those who don't know.

I remembered my bro had a "clicky" keyboard from years ago but I didn't think he still had it, so I asked him and he said yeah he has it but it's pretty dirty. So I collected it last night and popped a keycap to find the blue cross and I was happy, and even happier to see that it was doubleshot LOL :D

Will give it a good clean today and post pics later.

And yes, all the modifiers are doubleshot as well. :thumb:

PS about the knife, I have two knives so I can lever the keycaps evenly at each side rather than bending them up. ;) But I'd still prefer something smaller so will use a paper clip.

7. leslie

leslie Just me!

On first glance, I thought someone ruined a Model M by putting Cherry blues in it.

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It's all personal preference - I'd have to say I prefer this keyboard to the Model M. Buckling spring is unique and has a nice clunky feel to it, but the precision of this G80-3000 is something else; it's sublime to type with (which I'm doing now). :D

I used a Model M nearly every day when I was at school (in the 90s) and I'm tempted to buy one purely for the sake of nostalgia.

9. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Time to order some o-rings. Today is the first time the wife has worked from home and used the Filco since I bought it. 9am and I get a phone call asking why the keyboard sounds like a machine gun! :D

10. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

Just managed to get a Filco Majestouch 2 with Cherry MX Blues for £55 :thumb:
    Second-hand from the Netherlands through Geekhack!

Just got to wait for it to turn up now... *twiddles thumbs*

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Finished restoring this beautiful keyboard. Keycaps were cleaned with Steradent tablets, and the plastic cover was rubbed with Brasso. The board is in pristine condition and works a treat, but it's a lot louder than what I'm used to!

Mmmmmmmmmmm... Cherry MX Blues :D
    [​IMG]

Good as new :thumb:
    [​IMG]

All keys are doubleshot except for both Windows keys and the menu key. I assume that because of the level of detail on these keys they couldn't be doubleshot anyways?

12. IvanIvanovich

Looking good now. Nice brother you have, giving you that keyboard. A kind friend gave me a really really bizarre one from the 80's over the weekend. MX blacks with a custom colorway of coffee brown legends on cream keys. I've never seen these colors before, and he don't remember what system it was from... sadly several keys was missing as the stems got broken off at some point... I am sure I won't ever find keys in that matching colors. Suppose I will have to settle for a standard white and beige set with black legends.
    Win and menu key could have been done as well if they wanted to. No official Cherry keys have those as doubleshot as far as I know. On many later batches the ctrl and alt were laser print too for some reason.

13. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I just have to say that is a great restoration job there and its really nice to see IT equipment being re-used.

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I had to type a 2 page paper (not really that long really) and I looked forward to it just so I could type

Mechanical keyboards Cheesecake

15. leslie

leslie Just me!

Wow! Nice restoration, that looks really good.

Makes me want to get my M working.

16. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Nice job Lenny!

17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Cheers folks :thumb:

Been using the keyboard since I spruced it up and I have to say it is something else. My wife finds the clicking really irritating :D

Gaming-wise I'm not fussed about mechanical to be honest - having used both boards, I don't mind the spongy dome keyboard and would probably prefer it tbh; but for typing, the cherry blues are so very nice indeed. :) I haven't told my bro I restored it and I'm interested to see what his reaction will be!

Some trivia: the board was bought in November 1998, so it's in its 16th year :eeek: compare that with my Apple keyboard which lasted one year before breaking :duh::sigh:

The ticket on the box says manufacture date is "K31 04" - any ideas? :thumb:

18. IvanIvanovich

the 04 should mean the PCB revision which would lineup with 1997/1998 boards. Not sure what the K31 is for, probably some other batch code or similar.

If you don't like the blues, it's really simple to pop open the housing and swap springs. I have some black stems if you fancy trading. Would make them 'ghetto reds' in Cherry keyboard lingo if you did so.

19. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Don't get me wrong - LOVE the blues, just not fussed when it comes to gaming.

I'll have to try some other cherry switches for typing but I don't see myself liking anything else as much as I do these.

Funny thing is, I used this keyboard regularly 15 years ago when my bro first bought it - I typed school essays with it and played games on it all the time. I'll have to ask my bro when he decommissioned it because I can't remember specifically, but I do remember thinking "why, oh why, did my bro buy such an annoying clicky keyboard?"

LOL :D

Here's a pic of all the gorgeous keycaps after they'd been cleaned and dried, ready to be installed:

[​IMG]

20. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Recieved the O-rings from Grimloon ;)

Thanks a lot! + rep