1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Vs Membrane Keyboards in FPS.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Corky42, 2 Jan 2018.

1. Corky42

Corky42 What did walle eat for breakfast?

Having spent the last few weeks immersing myself in everything keyboard related i came across a thread on the overclock.net forums that links to a video from one of the best Quake 1 player in the world, in it he gives his thoughts on Mechanical Vs Membrane Keyboards, particularly in FPS like Quake, TF2, and i would imagine other FPS.

It's worth a watch as i was all sold on the idea of replacing my aging Microsoft Comfort 2000 with a nice swanky mechanical model until watching this, having listen to Milton's explanation i can't fault the logic of why membrane keyboards are superior in some First Person Shooters.

It basically boils down to the actuation point of keys and how, when two opposite directions are registered in a FPS the game interprets this as a stop instead of a change in direction, this is made worse by a mechanical keyboards as the actuation and deactivation point is normally in the middle of the keypress whereas a membranes actuation and deactivation point is at the bottom of the keypress.

It's probably a heinous crime to suggest membrane keyboards maybe better than mechanical when it comes to games but I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts.