1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Media Monkey *****!

Discussion in 'Software' started by longweight, 21 Jul 2011.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Ok so I am not a gold member. My library was fine on my old PC until a month before I switched and it started to forget the path to lots of files i.e. I would click on a file that was black, it would go grey and skip to the next one. It would do this for 100's of tracks before picking a random on to play. The original files were still there!?!?!?!??!

Now it is doing it on my new machine, what do I do??!?!?!?!?!?!??!

2. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Switch to Winamp.
    Never gave me any problems since the 90s

3. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Does Winamp sync a library to ipod or is it particularly good at editing library file tags en masse or via automation? Fact is that Media Monkey does these tasks particularly well, it is my main use for the application.

I have never come across the issue described, however I would suggest clearing then rescanning the library and then checking to see if this issue persists.

4. longweight

I have done Bungle :(

Ahhhhhhhhh

5. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

Foobar2000. Takes some time to configure, but it's by far the best music player I've used - great for tagging etc too.

6. MrBobandy

MrBobandy What's a Dremel?

Totally agree here. Been using Foobar2000 for as long as I can remember and I would honestly never switch away from it. Always useful are the various plugins you can find on the official website and the Hydrogen Audio forums, including the iPod Manager plugin, which allows you to sync your iPod from foobar. I haven't used it for a while but if it works as well as it used to, you should have no problems in that area.

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Check the mediamonkey forum, post a question if you can't find the answer - the community support is very good.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

8. longweight

I use Foobar a bit but I can't make it jump to the artist when I press the first letter of that name i.e. F for foo fighters. Anyway to make it do this?

9. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

i'm not 100% sure but i think "facets" plugin provides that feature.

10. MrBobandy

MrBobandy What's a Dremel?

If you first click in the list of artists (mine is on the left) you can then use the keyboard to navigate to the artist you want, just like in Windows Explorer. No plugin required. Personally, I also like to have the 'Library Viewer Selection Playlist' enabled, so when I select an artist their music is automatically added to a 'Library selection' playlist. This option can be found in Preferences>Media Library.

11. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

If a track in monkey goes grey it means its moved or is missing.

You need to rescan your library.

You can skip to a track or artist in your library view. by just clicking htat and pressing a letter

12. CopperX

CopperX IT Support BOFH @ a Uni.

^ This.

It's happened to me several times in MM, usually when I've added music from it's temp ripped location to it's proper one.

iTunes also does the same thing as neither media players by default include the ability to autoscan every time it's used.

13. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

If you have Windows Media Player scanning the same direcetories as Media Monkey, make sure you turn off the options (in WMP) to retrieve media info from the internet.

If WMP changes the tags and filenames etc, Media Monkey may get confused.

Remember that WMP has a background service that runs so it may not matter whether you use it or not. The easiest way, if you don't use WMP, is to remove your music location from the WMP library function.

14. MrP

MrP seeking inspiration

i have a similar problem, media monkey was skipping files that are there last night (i checked, they havent moved or been renames).

oddly, i have noticed the same problem in winamp :(

15. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I'd say it's a WMP issue. I've been using MediaMonkey for years and years (Think I've still got some mp2 files in the library somewhere) and have never had this issue but then I wouldn't touch WMP with a barge pole.

16. MrP

MrP seeking inspiration

is there any way to stop the WMP service, or will windows have a hissy fit?

17. Bumfluff101

Bumfluff101 Minimodder

In Win7 just turn it off through the "turn windows features on/off" part of the control panel

18. MrP

MrP seeking inspiration

ta, will try that and report back

19. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

You can also go into WMP itself, open "Manage Libraries" and remove all libraries monitored by WMP. This should stop it mucking with your music collection.

20. longweight

Fixed!

Realised it was just m4a files that it wouldn't play so I had to do something bad.... very bad....

Install quicktime :(

[​IMG]