1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Media PC Reborn - Graphics Card Cooling (Fan Mod)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Warrior_Rocker, 18 Sep 2006.

1. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

View the updated project log on my personal site, XodusTech.com

Not that it is really an issue, the card runs just fine, but id like to put a little bit better cooling on it to just oc it a little, any little bit would help when running media center.

Anyway, im just messing around with different cooling options for the little graphics card I have. Water Cooling would be nice, just not an option in this case also, I dont intend to buy more stuff, just looking to build from what I already have. I have bunches of raw materials.

The graphics card is a MSI Nvidia GeForce4 440mx 64mb AGP8x card.
    - its the low profile version, so it can fit in my small case.

Pictures of the card:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Notice the crappy little fan MSI put on there, I guess it works in end, but I kinda wish the GPU had a heatsink of some kind, instead of just a fan blowing on a chip.

So I decided to try just a heatsink with no fan on it, passive cool, how different from having a little dinky fan with no heatsink at all could it really be?

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I cut that heatsink down to size, Took off an old Radeon 9600se That I put a Nvidia fx5900 cooler on. It had enough metal on it to cut the holes on the sides to mount it with some spring clips. However after about 2 hours of running this in the case, It was getting pretty hot, Not hot enough to fry, but this was not turning out to be the ideal situation.

So Now I am going to explore using the cooler off an old radeon 7200 PCI card. It was attached to the GPU with thermal adhesive, so No mounting holes on either side.

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I just like this cooler because its thin, has a small heatsink, and the fan actually pushes more air at 5v than the stock cooler at 12v, also no noise difference, at least that I can detect.

So, here is my question, Anyone got any ideas on how to mount it, Not using thermal adhesive, I have the stuff, I just dont want to get the sucker on there, and it suck, I want it to work first.

Here are some images of the two coolers I have already used, and their mounting.

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Old fan, and then passive block I tried to use.

Here are the two mounting holes on the graphics card, if it helps to see them.
    [​IMG]

Just a side note, I have very limited space thickness wise, My tuner sits in the PCI slot right next to the AGP slot, so just mounting a fan on the top of the passive block I wanted to use wont work.

Any help would be appreciated, Would be happy to clarify anything

Last edited: 27 May 2012
  2. stevie1556

stevie1556 New Member

You could maybe make some mounting clips for the side of the heat sink. Make them out of some plastic so they don't short the card out. You could maybe clue them onto the heatsink, however, it might get in the way of airflow a bit, but not much I suspect.

I do like the idea of trying different cooling methods though.

3. Swampytoadstool

Swampytoadstool New Member

noob, get an a/c compressor out of will's probe, and hook it up to a gerbil wheel, then run lines from it to a thingy on the heatsink, and then run it through the big condensor thingy, and then stuff, and woo, refridgerated gerbil powered video cooling ***.

4. Ener

Ener New Member

make a square peice of plexi, and put it around the fan (just a bit bigger then heatsink) then tap thur with plastic rods or something?

5. Warrior_Rocker

I have an update on this, I have decided to go ahead and put the old ATI fan on there, I used Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive to do so, the stuff is great, in 15 minutes its hard as a rock and attached forever.

It keeps the chip a good bit cooler, even though the heatsink is warm to the touch, it just means that MSI was happy with keeping that chip way hotter. This should if nothing else cure any instability issues with graphics demanding applications in the future. I am quite pleased with the outcome

I will get some pictures as soon as I tidy up the new wiring on it. I had to solder a new fan connector onto it, just because the old fan was 12v and my new one is 5v. nothing of course looking up the agp pinouts to find the 5v line on the card, just etched into the solder shield and soldered new wires to a new plug, gotta glue it on the card somehow so the wires dont tear. I am a perfectionist when it comes to things that are modular. I could have just soldered on the wires from the fan to the card, but it makes it a pain to ever remove it again. I love connectors.

6. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 New Member

What about using the passive block with a slim side-blowing laptop fan? That may just be enough to cool it to a reasonable temp. I can't find any sites that carry them, but if you have a old laptop lying around it will most likely have a little fan in it that may be suitable.

7. Warrior_Rocker

Yea, I tried a passive block, that black one in the picture, however adding a slim fan to it would make it not fit in the slot, my tuner is right next to it, there was not enough clearence. I could have mounted a small 40mm fan I have that is say 8-10mm thick to a thinner block that I have, but mounting that block would have presented the same issues as mounting the ATI fan I ended up using. Since the ATI Fan was already on a premade 10mm block, it worked out pretty perfectly.

8. mattthegamer463

No no, if you had a very small side-blowing fan, like those PCI bracket ones, you could mount that on the side of the black heatsink, so it would not be any higher than the heatsink is already, it would be next to it.

9. Warrior_Rocker

This is how it is laid out, Graphics card, Tuner, and in the last slot the Wireless card.

Picture:
    [​IMG]

If you mean on the top of the cards themselves blowing down, there is not enough room with the way the top blow hole fan is mounted, And its no good to push heat down, when I want to get rid of it, not store it near the bottom of the board.

Unless I still do not get what you are saying.

10. mattthegamer463

No, you get it.

I forgot to take into account the capacitors on theboard, and also the spring loaded pin that holds that heatsink down.

All I can suggest is maybe a larger heatsink. I have one just like that from my 9600SE that extends farther to cover the ram chips, one like that may be suitable, or maybe you could find another type similar to that original hsf that was on it but is better.

11. Warrior_Rocker

I already attached the ATI heatsink, its not comming off now without some serious and careful prying and cutting off (thermal adhesive), However, take a look at my ATI Radeon 9600se, one badass freakin cooler i put on the poor little card.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions, I will try to get pics of what I have done as soon as I can get some glue to tidy up and permant the wire.

12. Warrior_Rocker

So I finally got the super glue i needed to finish my fan mod on my card. I ended up gluing the jack for the fan on top of the bios... not like that should be getting hot or going anywhere, I do not forsee any issues with that, plus the glue should bond nicely with the top of that bios.

I also decided to keep the original fan connector on the card just in case for in the future, as stated previously the new fan is 5v, so I just looked up the agp pinout table and located the correct traces on the cards pcb and soldered to them to get my 5v.

Pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I know the images are in terrible quality, but I hope that it is possible to make out what I have done.

I would love to hear anyones input or questions.