1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Media Players

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dan01501, 23 Jan 2006.

1. Dan01501

Dan01501 What's a Dremel?

Hi im looking to turn my computer into a good media center and i was wondering what good media players are out there i currently have winamp5.1 and its working good but its a little slow and i was wondering if anyone has seen or heard of any good media players that give out excellent sound quality and are fast. Thanks

Dan01501

2. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

winamp 3?

other than that your looking at WMP or iTunes

3. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

Media Player Classic or VCL Media Player

4. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Winamp 2.x was the fastest that I know of. TBH, if winamp is slow for your taste, you're in trouble, because particularly the early versions are some of the cleanest, fastest players around.

5. Fler

Fler Banned

Try Creative Play Center - i like it best of all.

6. manvadher

manvadher What's a Dremel?

imo, anything creative software is bad, still to winamp 2.9x, mine does everything as long as you got the rite codec's

7. sammo1999

sammo1999 What's a Dremel?

Did you mean VLC? I like VLC because you can use it to stream media over a network. I use it on an older computer where WMP is to bulky and slow.

8. Dan01501

Dan01501 What's a Dremel?

thanks for the suggestions guys!

9. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

BS player is good in my opinion :) gotta love the subtitle options :)

10. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

If u'r looking for the best sound quality, it's iTunes all the way, slaughters wmp and winamp. I have my pc connected up to a pair of 250W speakers run by a pa 2x250W poweramp, and i can really hear the difference. iTines is crisp at all volume levels, wheras on wmp and winamp the bass distorts at higher volume. But thats just on my setup, if you havn't got a powerfull setup then you aren't really going to notice the difference as it's the sound sustem not the media player thats holding you're sound quality back.

Different media players work in different ways, iTunes is memory intensive while hardly using any cpu, wheras wmp is the other way round, not sure about winamp at the mo. So i spose different players will work at different speeds on different systems depending on u'r hardware.

For video, it's gotta be vlc media player, plays anything u throw at it and it's quite stable and fast.

Tags: