1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory gone after overclock!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Flyinghaggis, 22 Nov 2007.

1. Flyinghaggis

Flyinghaggis What's a Dremel?

I had a little dabble in OC'ing the other night, though unsuccessfully as all I got was Windows hanging or a BSOD.

After resetting my BIOS using the jumpers on my motherbord and booting up, BIOS only recognises 1.7Gb of RAM when it should be 2Gb....

Have I broken my RAM?

Mobo: ASRock AM2NF6GVSTA
    Memory: Geil 2Gb Kit (2x1Gb) 800MHz 5-5-5-15
    CPU: AMD SAM2 Athlon 64 X2 4200 2.2GHz

2. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Minimodder

Are you using an on baord video card? If you are then this explain the missing RAM as it'll have been allocated to the on board vid card.

3. Gumbatron

Gumbatron What's a Dremel?

I'd say that the RAM quantity issue would be from using the onboard Graphics.

If your system is bluescreening in windows when you try to overclock it I'd suggest that the RAM voltage is too low. There should be an option in the BIOS somewhere to adjust it.

I'm not an expert at overclocking, so it would be wise to check the exact figures with someone who knows what they're talking about a bit more. But you should be fine with a voltage (Vdimm) of 1.9V or 2.0V. The default for that board will probably be 1.7V or something like that which wont be enough to be stable when you overclock it.

Hope this is of some assistance