1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Mental Health - how people handle it when they see it

Discussion in 'General' started by goldstar0011, 8 Jun 2021.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

That's an interesting side of it I'd not thought of: part of the masculine package, which I wouldn't call toxic or negative in itself, is that we tend to thrive on, pride ourselves on, and get recognition for our ability to fix things ourselves. The more things you can do it for, the better. I myself really enjoy this process and try to do as much as possible myself.

And it certainly is possible to do some emotional maintenance yourself; there are levels of problem that you can self-diagnose and take steps to remedy, with the self-awareness and knowing the right habits and strategies. (CBT, as others have noted, is all about teaching people how to do this.) But there are also problems on a scale where this just can't work; once the machine is past a certain amount of broken, it can no longer function well enough to repair itself, and you're stuck. You can't do a top end rebuild solo at the roadside, and you can't solve severe depression or panic attacks just by thinking about it. You need extra hands.

@mrlongbeard you're certainly right about going through work for it, I've always found that concept baffling - partly because, as a business owner, the idea of being held responsible for fixing my workers' mental health problems seems like an imposition (unless my work envionrment specifically caused the problems), and partly because, as you say, as an employee I'd feel like it's none of their damn business and nothing to trust them with.

Compounded onto this, the only free alternative - the NHS' mental healthcare - kinda sucks. So there's a class element to it. If you have enough disposable income, you can pay for a therapist or counsellor (idk wtf the difference is). If you're broke, you're more likely to have mental health issues and to be immediately impacted by them, but you're also less likely to be able to get good help.

2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

3. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

"the only free alternative - the NHS' mental healthcare - kinda sucks"

I guess this depends on where you are in the country. Where I am it is excellent, and far better than many private therapists who really aren't doing what they calim to be doing but taking nice money for it. We work with lots of other free services too as not everyone who comes to us will benefit from what is on offer, but together its does well I feel, although there is always room fro improvement, but there is a lot of invest in some areas of the country for this and I hope it rolls out further as the area I am in has a great reputation.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  4. boiled_elephant

Yeah, the area I'm in has had a terrible time with funding. It's not just the mental health side that suffers but it seems to suffer first in the triage process of Tory cuts.

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

"Good afternoon doctor, the stress is once again about to kill me"

"It's your lifestyle m8, nothing to be done about it"

"Ah, beans"

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Same here. I have spoken to mine once in the past year. My next appointment by phone is late August. Thankfully and mercifully the pill combo I am on is good, and I have only had a few bad breakdowns. But yeah, since the tories got in it's been obliterated. I used to go every two weeks, now I am lucky to even speak to someone twice a year ffs.

7. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

That's horrible!
    The courage it takes to ask "health professionals" for help, to then be told it's your own problem :sigh:

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Aye well he's right, I work full time and have a toddler to look after, nothing is gonna change that.

Perhaps things will get easier in September when I'll have two children :blah:

9. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Can confirm. Two children is definetly way less stressful than one. If you want to really relax, try adding major building work ontop.

MadGinga and ElThomsono like this.
  10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

This is my bathroom right now:

[​IMG]

boiled_elephant likes this.
  11. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

You got a bucket, what you complaining about? :thumb:

goldstar0011 likes this.
  12. boiled_elephant

Our kitchen looks a bit like that right now. It's satisfying when it's getting done, but an added source of stress the rest of the time. Very mixed bag.

13. boiled_elephant

This just got uploaded by Pop Culture Detective:

Just figured out why Good Will Hunting is my favourite film, I think.

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

My kitchen looked like that for all of the time I lived in my old flat. I ended up putting up a fake wall made from ply. It was wet too, and stunk of wet all of the time. It was never fixed.