1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Metal Polishing Techniques?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Morphious, 28 Aug 2004.

1. Morphious

Morphious What's a Dremel?

What are some good techniques for polishing aluminum or steel to be nice and shiny? :)

Thanks!

2. MarcelloRupelli

MarcelloRupelli What's a Dremel?

By hand or with a buffer?

3. Morphious

Both, but if I had to choose, by hand because I don't know if I can get my hands on a buffer. :p

4. Squatter

Squatter What's a Dremel?

You first need to bring surface finish to an even look starting with a medium sand paper, proceding to a fine and then use some medium scotch brite, and then a fine, i use an orbital/rotational air sander (a normal orbital will leave marks u wont be able to get rid of ) after this u can buff to a brilliant shine with compound, but i tell u, it will take u ages to do it by hand, even a little buffing pad on a drill would be better than by hand.

Cheers

5. Morphious

I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to use a buffer. :)

6. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Polishing metal ( especially by hand) can be extremely tedious.
    A powered buffing wheel will make life considerably simpler, but you need to pay close attention to the buffing wheel and compound that you use...they vary depending on the material and level of finish you want to achieve.

Unless it's a very small piece, I depend on professional metal finishers to do my polishing...the results far surpass what I could achieve myself and the prices can be quite reasonable.