1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Metaversa 02: Ada

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 21 Jan 2014.

1. Rainmaker

Rainmaker What's a Dremel?

Me to :lol:

It's like a piece of art being created in front of your eyes, and I can't wait to see it finished :naughty:

2. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

Just so subbed to this top quality work this is :)

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Oi! Where's the love?

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Love is in progress:

[​IMG]

I've just been rather busy with work and other things --bees take up a lot of time at the end of Summer and there's foraging to do. Also redesigned some aspects of the case to allow the mobo and PSU to slide in and out more easily.

I'm about to send the redesigned nixie PCB order off, and I need to order the pump and source some 12mm OD brass tube. Turns out to be a rare item. And I need to order a four-jaw chuck for the lathe.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2020
  5. Cheapskate

Thank you.:D
    -Can you use copper and have it plated? The other option would be to use the available 10mm brass and solder it into short sections of 12mm copper.

Last ditch idea: Get someone over here to take their micrometer to a target range and raid the discarded brass barrel.

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yeah 12.7mm is everywhere but 12mm is like rocking horse poo

7. Nexxo

Indeed. There's an American company, K&S Precision Metals, which sells it in 1 metre lengths. Luckily I don't need a lot of it.

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Last edited: 9 Oct 2014
  9. Nexxo

Y U no haz updates?

I know, I know. Things have suddenly gone very quiet here. The problem is that I am waiting for a few parts to be delivered -- but they are out of stock and won't be back in until December.

To wit:

And an Enginia D5 pump top, all the way from China --where there is an outstanding PC modding market with some interesting stuff:

[​IMG]

I will not be using the bracket and the aluminium pump holder on Ada will need a slight modification to accommodate this housing (boring out from 60mm diameter to 74mm. I would have liked the V1 version of this pump housing/top but it is not made anymore).

Some Bitspower True Brass C47 fittings (pictured below are C48's to give you an idea) to use with rigid tubing:
    [​IMG]

But meanwhile I have managed to acquire some other items:

- a Bitspower True Brass temperature sensor:

[​IMG]

- and 12mm OD, 10mm ID brass tubing:

[​IMG]

...which, after searching all over the internet I typically found in my local metal merchant John Keatley Metals:

[​IMG]

Behold Alladin's cave! :D

And forum member ALS has been able to kindly help me out with a tricky software problem to drive the nixie tube display, so that it a step closer too. :)

So things are progressing behind the scenes... I just need to practice patience... patience...

10. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Nexxo

Yer Scrappie Man didn't used to be a Weatherman by any chance:D

11. twister7800gtx

twister7800gtx Minimodder

Great work man!

12. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Awesome stuff! That pump top looks very unique, in a good way! It's always nice to see stuff that you never knew existed. :)

Essexmirage likes this.
  13. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Great skies above! Update!

14. Nexxo

Because I got bored I decided to take a closer look at the temperature sensor. Where the wire goes into the sensor looks a bit unfinished: big hole, tiny wires (don't get me wrong: the hole is filled with a clear resin making it an absolutely firm and watertight seal. But it just looks a bit rough). So I made a small collar on my lathe. This will ensure a nice finish when the wire is braided:

[​IMG]

And test-fitted:

[​IMG]

I may do that with the reservoir LED cap too.

15. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Good stuff. Going with cloth braiding? I got some really great cloth covered stuff here I need to start soldering in. It and cable lacing seem mandatory here...

Gonna use lead to bend those pipes? Traditional way, I should know-I've made a few brass instruments. I wish I was closer, I could make your tubes and lace your wires (seeing as I enjoy both so, and lead fumes don't bother me with what I'm facing) if I wasn't across the pond...

16. Nexxo

If I can get it. Otherwise I have some alternatives in mind. Most tricky will be to pick the right colour...

I'll have to see how easy it is to bend the pipes without collapsing and whether I can get a tight enough angle... Otherwise I will have to use Bitspower True Brass 90 degree elbows.

17. KayinBlack

All right, I'll put together a package and get it in the mail. I've got enough to bend plenty with-and no real use for it here. Shouldn't be too bad in a small flat rate box.

I just happen to have lots of stuff, anything else you want when I send it?

18. Nexxo

Thanks, that's appreciated! What colours cloth braiding do you have?

19. KayinBlack

All I have is cloth covered wiring for my setup. It's available from vehicle restoration sites as well as from radio restorers. Tweed paracord works pretty well unless you want it varnished as well.

Come to think of it, I'll include a good chunk of colophony for varnishing wires and such. I really have so much that I should share. Dissolve it in turpentine until it won't dissolve any more for colophony varnish for your wood as well, a period violin and fine furniture varnish as well.

I'll try to think of anything else. Amber, perhaps?

20. Cheapskate

Interesting pump top. That's much better than square.:D -Ordering Chinese anything, though... The description could say it's made of compressed skin flakes for all you know. "The previous owner saw a little girl crawl through his TV."

Aladdin's cave: That big copper tube on the back wall - GIMMIE!