1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Methinks Mr PSU is borked :(

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MrBadidea, 7 Feb 2002.

1. MrBadidea

MrBadidea What's a Dremel?

Few months ago when I first got this cheap ass PSU I decided that I wasn't gonner have any loose cables floating about in my pooter no more, SOOO I decided to open up the PSU and unsolder the P4 motherboard connector... I hate Intel that much :)

Anyways, from what I can tell, me pooter has been working perfectly since I did this mod - untill it came to carting my pooter around to a LAN tourney, which upon arrival my pooter decided not to co-operate. In the end I had to completely rebuild my pooter at the event to get it to work.

Now, this week I had my pooter open (and on at the time - I am too lazy to turn it off, and it ain't shocked me... yet) cleaning up some new IDE cables out of the way. As I was putting the case side on I thought I bumped something onto the motherboard and tripped my PSU, but alas at closer inspection that didn't appear to have happend - I just unplugged the PSU and plugged it back into bypass the short-out timer on it. Putting the case side on again, with the pooter booting up, I dropped the side at the last minute and hit my foot - I got in a stress and puched the PSU - again my pooter turned off.

At this point I had stopped jumping around the room through curiosity about what had just happend. To make sure my eyes wern't decieving me, I unplugged the PSU and plugged it back in, got meh pooter booting up again, and just tapped my PSU. And when I say tapped, I mean tapped! About as hard as you would hit a key while speed typing methinks...

Anyway, I decided to open 'er up and couldn't find anything that could cause this - no loose bits of copper, no solder - nothing! So yet again I tapped it while booting up just to check nothing fell out when I was opening up the PSU... Sill the same :(

So, here lies the point of thy thread:

What else could be wrong!!!????!!! I really want to avoid having to buy a new PSU
    a) Because I can't afford the one on my list of bits to buy
    b) I want to get my watercooling kit before upping my PSU anyway.

For the record, it is this PSU...