1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Metro 2033, why is it such a killer?!?!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Somer_Himpson, 16 May 2012.

1. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

I have just compleetd my build today based around 4.5GHZ overcocked 2550K, a new Asus GTX 670, a ROG Z68 board and 16GB of RAM and I STILL can't play this game with all settings maxed!
    A PC that has cost over a thousand pounds to assemble with a state of the art £350 traphics card and it can't play a 2 yr old game...is it a case of poor optimisation as this setup pisses all over BF 3 and Crysis 2.
    (gaming @ 1080p)

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

It's a known problem with current drivers and Metro 2033. It was developed with the 480/580 in mind, so less shaders, much higher speeds. Given a driver update or two; it'll be maxable once more.

True gamer gets it with his 680 4GB SLi, but didn't get it with his 580 SLI, driver issue.

3. Deders

Deders Modder

It's mostly playable at full detail, on my machine, just a few places below 25fps. That engine has always caused issues with most hardware.

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

^^^^
    This I can play it max settings and have no problems at all

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I found the game quite boring. Tunnel shooting is generally boring.

A game like that should run very well on even a 460 since we're not talking vast open spaces like Crysis.

6. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

The major reasons it performs badly are due to additional DX11 effects when run, and the DoF etc. It's a very good looking game, and has generally excellent textures.

Feathers, the size of a game's environment usually has no impact on performance. Project CARS runs acceptably well at full settings with 8x AA, yet has massive settings and looks good. It's all about cutting the corners where it's not noticeable. In Metro, as the tunnels mean a close-up experience, everything has to be well detailed and no real corners can be cut, no model swapping or anything else.

7. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Fantastic game - one of my all-time faves. Do stick with it.

I had a 580 and it was fine, then I went 27" and had to add another card, so it is a bit of a beast of a game.

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Tbh I found Crysis 2 really boring couldn't be arsed to even finish it.

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I have played quite far into it and may complete it. The story gets quite dumb further in and the acting b-movie.

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Too scurry for me, I got about a half hour in and just couldn't go further

11. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

My rig plays it maxed out. Surely there is something wrong at your end.

@ Feathers. The game is genius. It has a solid story line which intrigued me to keep going.

Last edited: 17 May 2012
  12. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I'm gad i'm not the only one. I installed it a total of three times, giving it a chance to show itself to me over and over, but every time, I got to the part where you first venture above ground (not in the opening part, I mean after the handcart tunnel run) and then thought "God this is boring" and quit. Same place every time, same emotion every time. It's like I hit an invisible wall made of "meh".

13. Deders

Deders Modder

Shame really, It gets quite intriguing further on.

14. Zeameth

Zeameth What's a Dremel?

funny how some people myself included think that its a great atmoshphere that builds welkl while others couldnt care less bit of a marmite one

15. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

There seems to be a lot of games like that. I feel games are not as fun as they use to be... :(

16. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Metro and Doom 3 for me both had the same effect. I wanted to like, I listened to all the praise/hype/worship and found the game boring. So it gets interesting later on? Well I want a game that's interesting from the start. :)

I tried to like metro several times. It was the same with Doom 3 although I loved the scare factor in that game. There was another tunnel crawler with lots of water and time manipulation. Forget the name but that also bored me.

Whenever I play a game that has caves and tunnels I think FFS, now I have to get through the boring tunnel section to get to the interesting part again. Was the same with so many games where you go from outside to tunnel crawling. Metro was by far the worst because pretty much all you get are dark tunnels.

17. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

The name Metro surely gave it away that you were 90% of the time going to be in a tunnel :D

Last edited: 17 May 2012
  18. Deders

Deders Modder

The problem with Doom3 was it was far too samey throughout. The Hell level was excellent but I couldn't always trudge through enough of the rest of the game to get that far.

Metro did actually have enough variety at the right moments to keep it interesting. That first open air level was a bit too much for me at first (even though I love Crysis and Far cry) but it still remains a very atmospheric experience with quite a few different types of gameplay throughout.

19. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Are you sure you went into the Direct X 11 settings and enabled them?
    There is an in built bennchmark tool which I ran and I averaged 30.57 FPS and compared to the GTX 670 review here:- http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1925/10/
    I out scored the EVGA SC version which has higher clocks (It averaged 30.33 FPS) (Not started the overclocking on this just yet)

20. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

There is your problem, right there. A penis has no place being inside a computer....