1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other mfp m477fdn directly plugged into laptop cant print

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kuroidoragon, 27 Nov 2019.

1. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Member

I am trying to set up a mfp m477fdn HP printer for my friend plugged directly into her laptop it says network connected on the panel but I can't get it to print what do I do to fix this ? it is a windows laptop but don't know what version

2. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Member

It is Windows 7 Home prem that is what it says on the sticker underneath

HP G61 Notebook PC

Icon for the printer in devices & printers seems ghosted out but with a green tick

I did run a trouble shooter thing somewhere it said it passed successfully on two things one thing I think it said it was turned off even though it isn't so not sure what it means there

I have just been informed of the following

If you are connecting to the PC directly with a network cable you need to set a manual Ip address on each device as there is no Dhcp server. For example computer 192.168.1.25 printer 192.168.1.30

is that likely what I need to do & if so how do I do it exactly step by step I am not technical minded so I needed to be talked through it

Last edited: 27 Nov 2019
  3. silk186

silk186 Derp

Are all of your windows updates installed
    try deleting all printer drivers, remove all printers, restart and see if everything installs correctly.
    I had an issue with a failed windows update preventing a printer driver from installing for a new printer - it was a pain.

kuroidoragon likes this.
  4. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Member

well recently we had all our network cables redone on the switch downstairs so all the cabling has changed but the printer is not working at the moment but it was working fine before on the laptop nothings changed that end & it worked fine but I can't figure out how to get it working again untillI I can get my friend to help me over the phone

so I just plugged it directly into the laptop for now as a temporary measure thought it would just work plug & play etc but someone said to me on another forum I need to do that ip thing it would be nice to know how to do it step by step please

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

I don't know about HP, but the setup asks USB, wired or wireless when I set mine up. It may use different drivers?

kuroidoragon likes this.
  6. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Member

ours is only wired

it allready has the drivers on as it was working fine before all our cabeling was redone as previously described so nothing should need reinstalling

any chance someone can tell me please step by step how to do the Ip thing ?

If you are connecting to the PC directly with a network cable you need to set a manual Ip address on each device as there is no Dhcp server. For example computer 192.168.1.25 printer 192.168.1.30

Last edited: 27 Nov 2019
  7. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Well-Known Member

What wrong with HP's support site? How does one contact support when support is down... :p I did mange to find a line card on HP main site. Recommended driver from Windows 7 (32/640-bit) is V5.82+. Additionally the printer has auto-cross Ethernet port so no need for a cross over cable when connected directly.

Yes with out a router or some other DHCP server on the network, you'll need to to assign static IPs on the same subnet to the printer and laptop. A random how-to from google. You can test the link without any drivers, put the printer IP address into the laptop web browser, it should load a management page. If that is working then it is a driver issue.

Have you tried USB cable?

kuroidoragon likes this.
  8. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Member

1 - How do I asighn a ip adress to my printer as far as I can tell that site only shows how to do it for a computer ? is it done in the printers management screen which you get to by typing its ip into a web browser or some other method ?

2 - How do i find out my printers IP

3 - would a usb cable bypass the need for the ip thing all together if plugged directly into the laptop ?

I really need a dumbed down step by step of how to do the Ip thing please in crayon if possible I can't state enough how much I am not technical savy & find the simplest of tasks hard

Last edited: 28 Nov 2019
  9. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Well-Known Member

As a temporary solution the USB cable wouldn't require an IP address. You'll need to set up an new print driver set to use the USB rather than the network.

kuroidoragon likes this.
  10. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Member

1 - does my printer have a USB port ?
    (mfp m477fdn)
    2 - what is a new print driver set & how do I do it ?

again good suggestions are being made but I don't know how to do these things as said a few times now I am a idiot :)

also AGAIN

I really need a dumbed down step by step of how to do the Ip thing please in crayon if possible I can't state enough how much I am not technical savy & find the simplest of tasks hard

11. silk186

silk186 Derp

uninstall your printer, HP software and preferably drivers in device manager
    connect the printer with USB cable
    reinstall HP software from product page

12. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Member

I got it working again just by reinstalling the drivers for the printer from he Hp site yay is me took me a couple of hours to get it working

Guest-44638 likes this.
  13. nimbu

nimbu Well-Known Member

Happens to my hp often.

The printer port is bound to the IP address. When the printer gets a new one (say it's been offline for ages or you reset the router) then the computer no longer will talk to the printer without
    1) reinstalling the software
    2) changing the IP on the printer port to match the new IP the printer has
    3) manually changing the IP on the printer to the one the pc is expecting it to be.

One way to avoid this is to go into your router, figure out which device is your printer and then setting a dhcp reservation. That way the printer always has one ip address.

Tags: