1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors micb's Volvo 340 RIP.

Discussion in 'General' started by micb, 23 Feb 2004.

1. micb

micb Minimodder

Yes, it is now finally time to get a new car, my beloved 340 has come to the time in its life where repair is not cost effective, with a radaitor leak, minor wealding required and old suspention it is time for it to rest, the MOT runs out tonight, so it is now offically end of life.

Tommorrow I have to strip out my additional wiring and sound equipment.

I have looking at newer cars over the past few months and have booked a test drive in a good condition S Reg Mondeo which I quite like.

I have also looked at Rover 4/6XX series, while quite nice cars I find them not very confortable for passangers in the back (a primary want of mine is very confortable back seats).

I also may look at some Peugot 406's and Nissan Primera's.

It is strange, I am sad to see the Volvo go but also exited to be getting a newer faster car.

2. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

*must resist reply*

R.I.P Volvo, bring on the new sound system base!! :rock:

3. micb

micb Minimodder

Yes, I was expecting the obligitory back seat jokes, hehe.

Yes have decided to get far far better front stage this time, I am aiming for 6.5 inch/17 cm speakers.

I plan to either run my Kicker amplifier as a front stage amp and get a stronger subwoofer amplfier from my Ininfity Perfect or keep the Kicker on the subwoofer and get a new front stage amplfier.

The cars I am looking at have massive boots (like my Volvo did) so I can have a subwoofer + ampilifer installed and still have plenty of space for all the food shopping I do.

4. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

alwasy a shame when you ahve to admit defete over a car youve owned for a while

shame you cant really get much for it on trade in really aint it

/me pushes micb towards a 406 and a copy of taxi, you know you wanna :hehe:

5. micb

micb Minimodder

Well it is all stripped out now.

Ready for Wednesday when it is being taken away.

I have been thinking and planning loads of ideas for the audio system my new car.

6. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

:( You're getting rid of the beast?

Nothing has as much character as older cars.

7. micb

micb Minimodder

Yes, my Sweedish battle tank had loads of character, the RWD was seriously fun in snow and ice.

Getting the back end out right out was exilerating stuff.

I know my next car will be mostly likely front wheel drive it does feel different to drive. It will be nice to have more power under the bonnet. I almost have my 4th year of NCD so my insurance is pritty low.

I dislike the look of quite a few newer cars they just too plasticy, although car looks is not that important to me the comfort is important and Air-Con could be very nice as well.

8. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

why do you need comfortable rear seats then :naughty: :naughty:

9. micb

micb Minimodder

Not for the reason you are thinking of.......

One of the reasons I want a big car is that when my brother, mates and I go out we like to have good leg room and be comfortable.

Although I am not very tall (5,85 ft) quite a few of my friends are 6 ft plus.

I also like to go drive about the UK to car audio shows and go the seaside ect, so rear seat confort is high priority.

Long road trips are unbareable IMO if there is not enough space or the seats just feel wrong.

10. samuelellis

you still gonna be able to come to the west yorkshire meet micb mate?

11. micb

micb Minimodder

I really do hope so, I am going to try my hardest to get there.

I hopefully will have a new car by then so it will be a nice test drive to go from here to up there, otherwise I have a friend with a nice audio system he could drive up for the show.

12. samuelellis

well i hope you can but if not i wouldent worry

13. micb

micb Minimodder

Well I went to test drive the mondeo and it was sold when I got to the dealer. Grrrrr.

So I have driven about all the dealers in my grandmothers T Reg Honda Civic ES 1.6i (I do like it but as it is a automatic).

After going to lots of dealers and sitting in a load of cars, I have put a deposit on a Renault Megane RT Classic 1.6e. It has low milage and has great bodywork.

It is the rare saloon model, I think it looks pritty good, nice big boot for ICE and it I think I can put 6.5 inch speakers in the front which is nice.

I am taking it for a extended test drive tommorow, if I like it I'll take it home the middle of next week.

One thing I like is that is very cheap to insure (I already don't pay much) and cheap to run so that will give me more money towards ICE.

14. samuelellis

nice choice in car mate

how much did the volvo cost you to insure?

still should ahbe boight a bloody 406 tho :hehe: :hehe: :lol:

15. micb

micb Minimodder

I checked out Peugot 406, I did like it, nice inside but the engine had done too much milage, the gears were very notchy and the doors did not open and close that well ;-(

I am sure a better condition one would be a very nice car to have.

The Volvo 340 had my brother (not passed his test yet), head unit coverage, and drivers legal protection, it was approx £600.

The Megane is the next insurance group down and I am just getting my 4th year NCD so I am hopeing for <£500 ish.

I may shop about and see what quotes I can get.

16. micb

micb Minimodder

Renault Megane RT Classic 1.6e

The car was very nice, it handels well, smooth ride, gear box is fine, the clutch is a bit different than Volvo but I will get used to that, the engine warms up quickly.

It is pritty quick for a 1.6i, a lot more power than the Volvo, we had four people in it, took it up on the A1, through a town and along some small curvey villages.

I very impressed with the lack of road noise, it is very quiet car, great for the future ICE.

I'll go put it on my insurance policy tommorrow and will be taking it home on Wednesday.

micb = happy :)

17. samuelellis

now you know what you must do, ditch the rar seats for the install and fit a towbar so you cna throw the sponging freelaoders in a trailer on the back

:lol:

hope you enjoy the car

18. micb

micb Minimodder

Thanks, Hopefully I'll bring it down to the WY1, West Yorkshire meet, it will give me the chance to test out the distance petrol costs.

Unfortunatly I won't have any of my ICE in though, I am going to take my time with the install, to make it look nice.

19. samuelellis

i still dont have a bloody install

the react lads are install less, theres a few others wothout installs, its gonna be a quiet car audio meet :lol:

20. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

A mate in work has the 1.6 Megane Coupe,
    nice little car, the bottom end accelleration is good in it, he could out accellerate me in the 156... but I could catch up :) oh, and he had no hope against the spider

Tags: