1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays micro HDMI to DVI-D

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by academica, 16 Nov 2013.

1. academica

academica What's a Dremel?

I have an ACER Iconia W510 tablet with a micro HDMI socket and a monitor with a DVI-D input socket. I want to connect the tablet to the monitor.
    Question 1: What cable should I use: DVI-D single or dual link (18 or 24 pins)?
    Question 2: What is the maximum resolution I can get from the tablet's micro HDMI port?

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

HDMI is single link.
    1920x1200.

3. academica

Thank you, faugusztin for your reply. I am confused because Wikipedia says "To support higher-resolution display devices, the DVI specification contains a provision for dual link. Dual-link DVI doubles the number of TMDS pairs, effectively doubling the video bandwidth. As a result, higher resolutions up to 2560 × 1600 are supported at 60 Hz." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI)
    It would be easy to decide if I knew the resolution of the graphics adapter of the ACER tablet. HWiNFO32 says my graphics is Intel GMA SGX545 CLoverview, PCI, video RAMDAC Internal LVDS, HDMI.
    Question 1: What is the maximum resolution of this adapter?
    Question 2: Can I buy an adapter cable micro HDMI to DVI-D 18 pin, single link or should I buy the DVI-D 24 pin dual link cable?

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Adapter is pointless - if you got HDMI ouput, that means you got single link DVI in 99.9% - the only exception would be HDMI 2.0 with 4k support via same cables, but that it irrelevant in this discussion. So as i said :
    1) 1920x1200 is the maximum.
    2) single link is the maximum you can get from HDMI to DVI adapter, and that means it is useless to get a dual link cable, but dual link cable will work too - as a single link cable.

academica likes this.
  5. academica

Thank you, faugusztin for your time. You've been very helpful. I appreciate your consideration.