1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft acquires Nokia's mobile arm

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Sep 2013.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Did you understand it? :p

2. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    "Burning platform" memo, having Nokia miss the Android boat and jump head first into WP werent Elops decisions?

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

At that moment, Nokia was already deep in the troubles - that is what Nexxo says. Let's imagine someone gets the CEO spot of Blackberry now - by your logic it will be the new CEOs fault that Blackberry has big issues.

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Blackberry is in far worse shape Nokia was.

5. Nexxo

That is irrelevant to the point that faugusztin and I are making: is the new CEO responsible for the actions of the old one?

And "missing the Android boat"? That boat is occupied by Samsung. HTC, Sony et al. are barely clinging to a life raft. Elop had no desire to join them.

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Totally missed the Android boat. Samsung wouldnt be the mobile monster it is if Nokia had chosen to go Android.

7. Nexxo

I think you'll need to underpin that opinion with some foundation, sir, especially considering Sony, HTC, LG, Huwaei, Lenovo and ZTE are not even making a dent in Samsung's dominance. And it's not as if they're selling shoddy mobiles (seriously, have you seen the Huwaei Ascend P6?).

Last edited: 28 Sep 2013
  8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I have just started using an HTC One. I concur with this point ;)

It's better than the S4 overall, but will be a commercial flop by comparison. Samsung are the new Apple tbh.

9. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

Just purchased a Nokia 920 for £200 on Tesco Direct sim free with a £15 per month sim all you can eat from three.

I think I've made a sensible purchase, please reassure me.

Last edited: 30 Sep 2013
  10. Nexxo

Since I paid £200,-- for a mint-condition Lumia 920 on eBay, I think you did pretty well. £15,-- for all-you-can-eat data sounds good too. May look into that myself.

The mobile itself is great. 4G is fast but sucks battery. Don't be alarmed if the unit gets slightly warm at the top while playing video or using 4G. GUI is snappy and intuitive, and screen is great.

Bluetooth can be a bit picky, and it needs a USB charger that can put out 1 Amp (most good quality chargers do).

Get to know the interface --there are a lot of things it can do that people don't realise. Live tiles are powerful. Also get to know the apps --there are a lot of useful, beautiful apps that enhance its functionality.

11. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

I would have considered the win phone route if I haven't spent all that money on the iphone apps :-(

12. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

If you are the type to spend lots of money on apps then WP may not be for you. I love my WP but I'm not an appy person. I have maybe 4? that I use regularly. The app market is still lacking behind the competition.

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Really?!:sigh:
    Lets see what was the marketshare in 2007-2008 (Android released in 4Q2008):
    [​IMG]
    http://www.webpronews.com/global-smartphone-sales-up-in-2008-2009-03
    Samsung doesnt even register in the full year, but:
    Samsung starts its climb.

Then Android came and dominated:
    [​IMG]
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/02/idc-android-market-share-reached-75-worldwide-in-q3-2012/
    Where was Nokia? Releasing "burned-platforms Symbians" or WP devices.

Samsung was also releasing WP devices, how did they behaved competing on the same OS?
    [​IMG]
    http://blog.adduplex.com/2013/09/adduplex-windows-phone-statistics.html#more
    Too bad WP marketshare is so small compared to Android.

The refusal by Nokia to adopt Android opened the doors for Samsung-Android dominance on the smartphone arena.

14. faugusztin

impar: It was the refusal of Nokia to do anything non-Symbian. The issue with those "Smartphone sales in 2008" is the definition of smartphone back then. You know what was considered smartphone ? Symbian S60. Things like Nokia 6120 clasic : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_6120_Classic . It was "Smartphone", not smartphone. Or as said before - lies, damned lies and statistics.

15. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Look at the alternatives. Besides Android, to what OS could Nokia hang to that could compete with Androids market voracity?
    That definition is always changing. The same for "feature phones" (that one is even harder to define).

16. faugusztin

In 2008 smartphones were already similar to current definition, that is most of the front is occupied by the screen itself - iPhone, HTC Touch Diamond, Touch HD, Touch Pro. Except few exceptions, Nokia "smartphones" weren't smartphones by design, and only partially by OS. Nokia smartphones for general public (not counting the highend non-Symbian Nokia smartphones like N810/N900) started in 2009, with 5800 XtremeMusic.

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Never heard that definition for smartphones before.
    Asha phones then are smartphones?
    The old Samsungs WP6.5 with qwerty werent?

18. Nexxo

I think you are getting a bit creative with the truth. You are arguing:

"If Nokia had entered the Android market in 2008, Samsung would not have got the upper hand."

Sure, Samsung was pitted against HTC, Sony and LG, all seasoned manufacturers, and it wiped the floor with them. But somehow Nokia would have fared differently?

"Nokia went up against Samsung with Windows Phone, and won that market; proof it could have done the same in the Android market."

Yeah, right. Samsung released a few lacklustre Windows Phone models. HTC released two decent offerings, but still only two. Nokia released a whole slew of them and hence took dominance in a market where there was little competition.

Compare that to Samsung and HTC's Android efforts, which are a large range of substantial devices. Not the same market, kiddo.

Last edited: 30 Sep 2013
  19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Nokia was the gorilla in a room full of chimps.

20. Nexxo

Again, you'll have to underpin that opinion with some evidence.