1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Microsoft Acquires ZeniMax, Bethesda, id, and the rest

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Sep 2020.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Microsoft want recurring revenue, i.e. they want to sell GamePass, not consoles.

I expect timed exclusives for the biggest franchises, which is fine. I wouldn't even be surprised to see timed exclusives for GamePass vs buying the game outright.
    I would be very surprised if new instalments of Doom, Fallout and Elder Scrolls never come to PS... these users aren't coming to GamePass anyway, so they may as well get a one off piece of the £50 from them.

Hex likes this.
  2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I sincerely doubt Microsoft buying some big names is going to kill sony.

Also, Microsoft are somewhat late to this buying exclusives malarkey, Sony have been doing it since they got into home consoles.

Exclusivity is ********, yes, but it's been going on longer than Microsoft have been in the console business.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

And why is it that Nintendo seems to get a pass with all of the same stuff that MS/Sony get a hard time about?

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

'cause Nintendo release the same games over and over again.

How that translated to their customer friendly good will, I have no idea.

I guess news articles get more clicks when consumed with the "console war" rather than the latest rerelease of the same Pokémon game or smash brothers or something.

5. knarF

knarF Noob

I guess because they aren't buying other developers, publishers or IPs, just do it with ones they've developed in house.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Also for almost everything Nintendo does wrong there is someone who does it equally bad or worse...

Nintendo introduces multiplayer paywall? Sony charges more.
    Nintendo releases sequels that might as well be the same game? Allow me to introduce you to Koei Tecmo.
    Nintendo does artificial scarcity with the Switch? Sony outright cancelled the PS Vita.
    Nintendo games don't drop in price by much as they age? Have you heard of Activision?
    And the list goes on and on.

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

This is why Microsoft said they don't see Sony as a rival. They won't need exclusives to make the money roll in. Even if the PS5 wins the next console war Microsoft will still rake in the cash by making many games and selling them over all platforms. Exclusives don't matter when you can still make all the monies.

From a personal perspective. I had a PS1 and a PS2. I would have had a PS3 if I'd had the money. Since then I don't care about consoles. (Everything I want comes to PC anyway.) I would have bought a PS4 if I was going to buy anything that generation. But this generation I'd be going Xbox. I don't think the Sony exclusives outweigh Xbox Gamepass and the extra power the Xbox has. I reckon they have this generation.

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Microsoft buyout sounds even more like a big best option, apparently EA were looking at Zenimax.

Now that would have been awful.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

ZeniMax/Bethesda are a pretty awful company, but so are most 'triple-A' games companies.

The only one that benefits from this is Microsoft. Customers, as always, will continue to be shafted.