1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft announces Windows 10 October 2018 Update

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 3 Sep 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

...just don't [censored] my NIC worse than you did with the last update, Microsoft. I even cloned my SSD and installed 1709 again to check that I wasn't going crazy. 1803 makes my integrated NIC take minutes to negotiate with the router in my lodgings... to the point where auto-starting Steam will actually fail because it doesn't have a network connection. With 1709 it instantly negotiates.

Windows 10 seems to add something I quite like every update, a bunch of stuff I don't care about and at least two I actively dislike... along with a sprinkling of regressions/bugs which test my patience.

For another point, does anyone else get the feeling that MS basically don't know quite what to do for these constant updates (they certainly aren't fixing bugs!) and so have trawled back through decades of forum posts about what features people want in? Like a Dark Mode (which you could do in Win XP and earlier easy enough provided you didn't mind "Windows Classic"). Or Night Mode. Now, when shall we say that Tabbed Explorer becomes a thing? Sigh, I just had a quick Google, seems it's already in the works. Shows how much attention I've been paying. ;)

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

1809 and network issues are my favourite things!

Typically (IME) it's the garb MS version of the driver. I've been installing a copy downloaded from the NIC manufacturer and curing most network issues most of the time. Disabling power management has also helped in quirky network behaviour situations.

Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

They could call it the 'more stuff you can't opt out of and runs in the background because you are our guinea pig.' update.
    -I'm still bitter...

Dr. Coin likes this.
  5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Great. Another opportunity to reset all of our preferences and install MORE unwanted ****. Thanks, M$.

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I particularly enjoy that since the last update, Windows notification system keeps notifying me that I won't get notifications while I am gaming unless I turn notifications on... But no matter how many times I tell Windows notification system not to notify me about this change to notifications behaviour, it continues to notify me about it every time I turn my laptop on.

Is there a way to disable Windows notification system IN IT'S ENTIRETY?!?

ModSquid likes this.
  7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I see everyone is looking forward to all the issues the next update brings :D

8. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Don't forget it will download and reinstall software that you uninstalled with every other update... and my personal favorite, disabling installed software Microsoft deems no longer compatible.

9. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Precisely. More aggravation.

10. Paradigm Shifter

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

11. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Really?! Well then, **** 10. I'm retiring it.

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Oh joy another update that is going to mess around with everything and make windows more annoying than it was before.

Roll on the day that I don't have to use Windows and Linux is actually usable for gaming, like AAA games without needing emulators etc in order to run them.

I know there is Steam Proton or whatever it's called, but the games I am mainly playing are not on Steam and with those that I play that are on it, the majority of them are bugged to high hell for most people making it not worth trying anyway.

13. Paradigm Shifter

Just thought I'd follow this up for anyone interested.

I've now tested the default Microsoft driver, the Windows Update "recommended" driver, the latest driver on Asrocks' site and the latest driver from Intel. All of them still suffer from insanely slow network negotiation. The same happens on my laptop with a Realtek NIC as well, so it's not exclusively an Intel thing. I went back to my Win 10 v1709 clone on the desktop and *ping*... instant network negotiation. Tried two different Linux bootable distros (Mint 19 and Tumbleweed something-or-other) and they also negotiate instantly. The only consistent disaster for this is Windows 10 1803.

Oh well, here's hoping they fix it with the forced update coming down in a month or so. *crosses fingers*

Tags: Add Tags