1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft blocks Linux from Windows 8 ARM hardware

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 16 Jan 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes, but no; see here for details.

For others talking about smartphones: this is about ARM-based tablets and laptops running Windows 8, not ARM-based smartphones running Windows Phone; two very different things.

2. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

been playing with ubuntu dual booting for years - maybe its time to take it more seriously - if I could just get WoT working...

3. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Unless I'm massively mistaken you can't dual boot either of the top two selling tablets in the world into anything other than iOS? That clearly hasn't hurt their sales.

Why does it make more of a news story when MS do it using an open standard (Secure boot) than when Apple do it?

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

actually, you can. people have got android and linux working on iphone before. and besides, it's expected at this point that apple makes such a restriction, but not MS. also, people who care about installing a different OS on a device would rather pay less for an android compatible device which generally would have better hardware.

even back when apple used PPC for their macs, they didn't prohibit you from installing another os on the hardware. BeOS was a major competitor to mac because it worked on PPC. the problem here is MS is telling companies to make the hardware incompatible with other OSes, which is something that not even apple will do.

the crappy thing is an OS cannot be restricted to a specific manufacturer of hardware, however, hardware is allowed to be restricted to a specific OS.

5. enciem

enciem Minimodder

|Surely anyone really interested in installing another OS will just reflash the tablet to a selectable option, I'm sure someone will work it out

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Um, it's really difficult to update some UEFI-based products. ARM-based machines happen to be one of these. Will it be hacked? Possibly, opening the door for lawsuits. It would be far better to simply not purchase them, and support the things that are still open, like Raspberry Pi and BeagleBoard.

7. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

That's easy to say until you realise that Raspberry Pi is hilariously slow. Good for learning to program, not good for using.

8. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Actually, that's not entirely correct. Apple's Operating System (i.e. OS X) EULA states that you may only install it on Apple hardware.. That's an OS being restricted to a specific manufacturer of hardware - their own.

9. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

Microsoft has gotten more and more obnoxious over the years. Software locks like this spit in the face of everything they teach you in college programming courses, a good program is supposed to help the user do what they want, and stay out of the way while other programs do the same. I am much more willing to tolerate this sort of all-inclusive environment out of apple, because apple actually makes good software. M$ is only dominant because they are already dominant, they exploit peoples attachment to the familiar rather than try and produce quality software. M$ hasn't made a good non-OS program since they first made Office. and even that was technically an apple product wasn't it? BTW, how long you think it'll take for the linux community to fake a digital signature to get past windows?

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

no, the EULA states it must be an apple BRANDED computer. apple doesn't really manufacture anything electronic, and they don't design much of the electronics either. it is unlawful for them to say you must use a specific motherboard with a specific cpu manufacturer and so on in order to run OSX.
    because of this, apple can't sue you for using hackintosh, as long as you actually owned the retail version of OSX, if the computer is apple branded (and yes, stickers count as branding), and as long as you don't distribute the computer with OSX on it. it's still a contract violation, but apple can't sue you over it. they can, however, sue you if you pirated OSX and/or distribute non-apple branded computers with OSX on it.

11. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

To be fair, there's only a small minority of users that would even notice this (as in ~lessthan1% of all computer users) - so does it really matter in the long run?

12. Xunsu

Xunsu What's a Dremel?

Well people will just reflash, as always with devices that are locked.. i don't see it as protecting intel through, considering intel apperently have a X86 atom that can sit a ARM on its butt.

So must be a security point off view (and to secure your warrenties) personaly i don't care as im not likely to own a ARM based laptop/tablet may as well get a Andord one

13. Defiant306

Defiant306 What's a Dremel?

Yep cant care all to much about this to be honest. I will bet money you will see two versions of the same hardware or a bit different be released from the producer to allow for locked and unlocked UEFI's.

Lets face it this really is pointed towards the new Arm/Win 8 tablets coming. I cant see Arm PC's being that popular and the manufacturers wont bother with Win 8 cert as well as I have said it wont be a massive market outside tablets and phones.

Intel has the desktop market cornered for the now, AMD looks weak for the now and Arm. Sorry I cant see them muscling in all that much.

That brings us back to tablets and phones, I cant say I can think of anyone manufactured tablet or phone that comes with no OS at all. So your going to buy a model depending on the OS installed, so no Win 8 in, no need for a hardware cert.

Also I believe that in the deep dark corners of HP HQ, WebOS was port or made to work on an iPad. The result was part of the reason WebOS and the Touchpad together were seen as a flop.

14. Woollster00

Woollster00 What's a Dremel?

Never used Linux probably never will /care.

15. leslie

leslie Just me!

I would bet that either MS is pre-emptively doing this, or was asked to do this by mobile phone carriers.

Over here locking down phones and tablets is common practice.
    Most people don't and will not notice.

I also wouldn't count on many computers having that option. Just one more thing to mess with, and considering they are now skipping HD, caps and numlock indicators on low end laptops now, I don't have a lot of hope of a bios switch or getting most companies to cough up a code to unlock it. A few will, and someone will hack it, but I wouldn't count on it from manufacturers.

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

^This. :wallbash:

17. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

The problem here isn't that microsoft is locking the bootloader. They essentially do that with the Xbox 360 (along with a whole host of other things) but that was a device produced in house. To ask other manufacturers to force a locked bootloader screams of desperation in coming to a market way too late. Looks like any arm based devices in the future for me won't be running a legit copy of windows...

If you are of the "don't know/don't care" crowd then thats fine, but you don't get to bitch later when Microsoft decides to shut down services you were using ::cough:: zune ::cough:: and leave you in the dark. Them's the breaks in any walled garden.

18. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

It's not the closed OS of Apple I have the problem with Nexxo, it's the closed apps like being tied to iTunes when I want to use Zune and things like that.

Just like with Apple, most people wont care they can't install a dual boot OS since most wont even know how to or understand why they need to.

The enthusiast market is as per the above not too happy about it but lets just wait for Win8 to decide on whether we want a droid or linux boot option. Just like netbooks when they first came out, maybe tablets will finally take off once Microsoft joins the party.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2012
  19. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Zune has shut down has it knyghtryda? It's up and running for the rest of the world matey ;)

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think tablets have been doing just fine without Microsoft --which is why every manufacturer is so keen to join the party, and Microsoft has actually revamped the GUI of their flagship OS for it.

Tags: Add Tags