1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft, Canonical announce Ubuntu on Windows

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 31 Mar 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

MSSQL on Linux... bash on windows... what is this madness?

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I wonder if this move will eventually backfire on MS, after providing easy exposure to the big scary Linux monster to regular windows users ?

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I don't really understand the point of this, considering 99% of programs you'd want to run on Linux can be recompiled to run on Windows. This is definitely suspicious though, and Canonical has never exactly been one to help the Linux community in altruistic ways.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It has, no fooling, got me wondering about using Windows as my daily driver for the first time since Windows 98. Sure, there'd be disadvantages - you could make the argument for lower security, you could certainly make the usual arguments against closed-source software, and it'd cost me £70 or so - but I'd get access to my full Steam catalogue instead of a sub-set, wider support for newer hardware, and still get to use all my favourite software.

Sure, there's Cygwin - but that only gives you a very small portion of the core GNU utilities, not the massive collection of packages Canonical's got on offer. Yes, other packages have been ported to Windows - but then I'm left keeping them all updated manually, and going to a dozen different websites to download them all; using this, apt's super cow powers keeps everything up-to-date just like it does on Ubuntu Proper.

Tempting. Very tempting.

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I think that's my work machine sorted!

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So could this mean that the reverse may happen, if I've understood correctly this is going to take Linux system calls and translate them into Windows system calls, something similar to Wine but in reverse, could it be possible that Canonical/Ubuntu gain a better understanding of Windows enabling them to improve Wine.

8. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

If it can do Facebook and email faster and easier than clicking a single icon, perhaps.

9. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

I assumed this was an April Fools Day joke until I googled and seen it on loads of sites :)

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I can see this being aimed at software developers, it makes the Windows OS a one-stop-shop that is able to natively deal with both of the major dev platforms.

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Yes I wonder if you could use Visual Studio to develop for linux

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

That combined with MS' purchase of Xamarin, along with it's announced inclusion in Visual Studio, leads me to think the same...