1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft confirms Spring Creators Update crash bug

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 17 Apr 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Maybe its just me but its starting to feel like there are too many major updates. After every one I have some weird issue that takes forever to fix. By then its time for another major update. All IMO of course. Each major update seems to corrupt my profiles for some reason, no idea why (that is the cause of the 'weird issue' most of the time).

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Come over to Commie Linux, install a Long Term Support release, enjoy It Just Works for two years (if you want to immediately jump to the next LTS) or five years (if you want to hang on to what you've got until that's no longer an option). It's lovely.

Well, so long as you don't want to play the majority of triple-A games, or rely on Microsoft Office, or Adobe Photoshop, or any other proprietary software and/or hardware that doesn't play nice, of course... But speaking as someone for whom it works, it's nice.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Good night out then. ;)

5. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Yeah thats the problem. Nothing but gaming and video editing, none of which runs on any flavor of Linux.

6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

"Freedom of choice."

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Depends on the games - the games I like are typically ported to Linux, which is handy - and whether you fancy learning a new workflow. For free-as-in-beer FOSS video editors, people say nice things about Kdenlive and slightly less nice things about Blender, while if you're willing to spend the cash Blackmagic's DaVinci Resolve comes in a Linux flavour.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Handily/annoyingly [depending on your POV] the windows version of same is free...

You also have Shotcut [cross-platform] and Openshot [also cross-platform iirc].

Some people swear by Blender and GIMP... I mostly swear at them...

As for MS' Monsoon Season Artisanal Update and cup holder [seriously, their naming of the updates suucks...]... MS catch flak for releasing buggy updates, and now they're catching flak for delaying pushing an update because they found a bug...

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Which will probably come buggy. :)

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The last creators update damn near bricked my cad rig. The shell commands are damaged, and I have to go through the authorization key process to start the cad program. I'm prepping an install cd in the hopes a wipe will fix it.
    Now you tell me I can plan for several days of laggy computing while I download another update, and experience an unannounced reboot while I'm drawing. -Yes, I changed the reboot settings at least twice now, and they keep magically resetting to automatic.

11. RedFlames

As someone on the insider builds [so it does a 'major' update once a week on average]... I've never had it restart in the middle of me doing something... ever... nor did 8.x or 7 before it... I think Vista did it to me once...

CAD Program having a hissy fit post-upgrade sounds more like a problem with that program more than windows...

I have had 3dsmax and other things **** themselves to death, but not because of windows updates...

12. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Nice! Lucky I guess. It likes to do it when im playing a game and reboot for updates. Its weird to me because you would think it would see that the PC is under load and be like, "oh this dude is doing something right now, lets wait 30 minutes and check". Nope! Doesn't care.

13. RedFlames

I guess knowing the update coming helps, but even on my 'rents PC you need to have ignored half a dozen 'there's a restart pending btw' notifications before windows goes '**** it... i'm doing it now...', even then it's never done it whilst the pc has been in use.

14. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Yeah mine doesn't do that at all. Just restarts without notice. No ignoring involved.

15. Cheapskate

I'm beginning to suspect it has to do with how it was upgraded. I have two other rigs I 'surrendered' to the 10 update that have worked fine.. except for the horrible lag during creators update 1. This system was the one I walked in on and found 10 update force installing itself on. Can a computer suffer trauma?

16. RedFlames

A computer is usually a reflection of the person using it... which is probably why mine is barely functional most of the time...

17. Cheapskate

So...stripped down and repeating simple tasks. :worried:

18. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

I just recently updated 1507->1703 and that took me 3 days to sort out, it will be prob another 3 major updates before I attempt that again. On the plus side by the time I do, most of the bugs should be fixed.

Tags: Add Tags