1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft cutting back on Xbox Arcade ports?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'm glad, tbh.

I have my Xbox set to download new XBL games automatically, and I'm sick of seeing yet another retro arcade port. There are better uses for my next gen console than playing ports of games that are 20+ years old. If I wanted to play games with old, outdated graphics and no save option, I'd go and buy a secondhand SNES.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

so your saying that you'd prefer todays stagnated and unoriginal industry then classic like Streets of Rage?

4. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

New content is good, obvioulsy, but I did enjoy playing quite a lot of the old ports (Dig Dug, Galaga, Rush'n Attack (aka Green Beret), Doom.........). There were some that weren't quite worth the download but that goes for some of the original content they put up ther too.

5. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Yes. Thats exactly what we are saying. However, we will have to disagree that today's content is stagnated and unoriginal. Some of the best and most original games ever have been released over the couple of years.

You call a street level beat-em-up clone from the 1980/90's original ?

I personally find retro games so lacking in depth, and once the nostalgia has worn off (after 10mins) you are left wondering why you bothered with it.

Each to their own, but personally I find retro conversions boring, unoriginal, and stagnated in nostalgia and history !

6. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

i don't see why they can't do both. I don't think the arcade ports take a whole lot of time and effort. They could just put a smaller team on the ports and a bigger team on original content. The more selection the better IMO.

7. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

lots of arcade ports and original IP for me please

8. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

oh man, I want to play Golden Axe now!

9. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

This is a bad move for xbox arcade, it would be a good move for all other game design. "Mr. Bill how about we create a new game, you know not just a copy of our previous one. People like new stuff not just playing games that feel like older games." "Good idea Mr. One so that settles it no more arcade titles on xbox arcade we need new ****!" "On another note how goes Bioshock 2" "thats not what I mean Mr. Bill ................."

10. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I think it's stupid. They should just split it into sections, retro and new. That way it doesn't matter how many retro games they get, the people who are after them people will be happy because of greater selection, and then newer games will get done because the retro section will be overbloated for anything to be noticed. Win Win.

11. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Some of the old SNES games are still fun to play even if the graphics are dated. I still fire up classics like the Final Fantasy games, Ogre Battle, Wizardy V every so often for the fun of great RPGs. Using an emulator now, but I still have my SNES boxed up somewhere with some of those games mentioned.

12. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Sony's original titles are so much better.. so who cares.

Tags: Add Tags