1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft details Xbox One DRM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 Jun 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

The second hand games side of things never bothered me, I've never bought a second hand game and my pc experience is mainly through Steam so I've never had the option to sell on.

They seem to have sorted the "Playing at Friends House" whine.

The big carrot is the "Family" share side of things. I've got two kids and they both have 360's and we've had to buy two copies of a game in the past. Now that's going to save me money, so well done Microsoft!

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

They always say a picture is worth a thousand words...

[​IMG]

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Unless I'm mistaken if they both want to play bf4 online both would need to own the games snips it will save you cash on single player titles, they have sorted it by making them download huge amounts of data and sharing your Xbox live ID with them.

Take your average blue ray game size of 20gb / 8mb ( around 800kb/ sec download which is the avr uk download speed) is a little over 40hrs so you want to play at your m8s your planning 2 days in advance.

Since I never cared to begin with about either that or second hand its Irelivent to my purchase call.

But not everyone I know has unlimited Internet as they refuse to pay the extra for it.

The using mobile to sign in thing is funny as hell as unless your phone allows tethering ( not all do need a pretty modern phone with 3G contract of which in the middle of the Lake District will not work anyway) your screwed.

Second hand seems dead in the water for smaller retailers at least on Xbox side, even big retailers are going to be game dependent ( basically be Microsoft games only id imagine, EA rockstar square activisision will certainly not allow second sales)

5. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Yahtzee can have my babies. Wait, no he can't.

He can some cake instead.

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Tying games to "Family" accounts seems like a fairly positive thing and does resolve one of the issues I had with the XBOne, but that once a day check is something I'm not quite willing to give into yet.

The thought of not being able to play any of my XBOne games because my net connection has quit on me is enough to give pause. I mean, I used to take my console (PS1/2) on holiday with me when I had a caravan in Aberystwyth, there'd be little point in doing that with an XBOne, no internet connection = no games.

I have never sold my games on (I'm a bit of a collector, I've still got all my games for every system I've had, going back to the ZX Spectrum), but I have bought games second hand that I've had trouble finding new (because they've been discontinued or whatever).

And I'd hate to think what happens if 10-20 years down the line I want to play any of those games after the authentication servers goes offline...

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I have a mifi contract on 3 that costs £18inc a month for 15GB data plan. so it is possible, although I wouldn't want to download a modern game over that connection

8. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Second hand games don't bother me as I always buy brand new anyway, so that the disc isn't scratched to high hell.

It does seem though that Microsoft are pushing potential customers away from them to Sony atleast for now, until Sony detail what the DRM is going to be like on the PS4.

9. pickledliver

pickledliver What's a Dremel?

Something that's bothering me is that no publishers seem to have realised that it's possible to trade games in against NEW games. In this case, the retailer will actually be passing the value of the traded in game to the publisher/dev etc. By taking this away - has anyone considered the impact to the sales of new games? I bet there are a lot of people for example, who trade in last year's COD for the new one.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Seems smart to me, Microsoft has passed the buck to the publishers...lol
    After all it is the publishers who don't like the second hand market and now the publisher can get the bad PR that goes with preventing there customers from re selling there games.

11. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I'd never buy a second hand game anyway. Wait, I'd never buy a console either.

What am I doing on this thread?

12. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Sorry, it's a pet hate of mine.

I will not be buying a XBO come release. I think i will give it a few months to settle down and decide between the two further down the road.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

That explains why the Lovefilm App mentions searching for games, while Lovefilm-Germany don't even rent games :D

It's exactly what I do with the WII...use it in the Caravan / at granny's house. No Internet Thx.

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I wonder how they will handle this as this is similar to how PS3 used to work but ended up with a lot of people game sharing so they cut the number of shares from 5 to 2, I always wondered if this was why publishers set prices so high on PSN as they were basically giving away free copies. If you can call 10 of your mates family, they will be loosing out as its no different to secondhand games issue for them.

15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I started reading this thread and then stopped here.

Word.

16. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Whats next, you can only buy a new car?

17. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

Hmm.... Why dont the developers, publishers and retailers work together to come up with a system so that everyone gets fairly compensated without hassling the customer around? It just seems these people cant be bothered and want the customers to unnecesarrily deal with their rather silly systems.

And have Microsoft given a reason as to why Timmy is not allowed to re-sell his game? I am assuming Timmy is not buying it with Microsoft's money.

18. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

When will they take the music industry's lesson and pay attention to the fact that piracy hasn't been anywhere near the death knell the music companies said it would be? In the same vein, the second-hand games market is not going to kill off the primary one. People will just buy less games.

Time to vote with your wallets (to use a cliche).

19. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Cars are not a good analogy. A used car is totally different to a new one. A used game is identical to a new one. If you sell a car you have no way of getting around until you buy another one, as people only tend to have one car. If you finish a game and sell it, that's really not a huge issue that you need to deal with.

Here's another analogy, which is eqaully flawed but I feel does come at the issue from the right direction. What would happen if you could pay for a cinema ticket, go see a movie, then sell the ticket to someone else? Obviously that wouldn't make any sense because you're paying to watch the film, not for the piece of paper that allows you through the door. It's the same with games though; you're not buying the disc, the data or whatever. You're paying for the experience you have playing it. Should that experience, once over, be saleable to another person? The developers and publishers would rather it wasn't, because they (quite rightly) would like to get some money for every person who experiences their game, just as movie makers get money for every person who goes to see a film in the cinema. DVD releases (etc) are a different kettle of fish; they have the box office sales to make them money first, whereas with games the boxed/digital media purchased for the home is the primary source of income for the people creating the content. Second hand trading is a much larger issue as a result.

The value of the item is also important. With a game there's a lot of money involved per copy, so each second hand sale has a large impact, and buying second hand saves someone more money, so they're more likely to do it. Books are regularly traded second hand, however they cost less; the price difference between a new book and a used one generally isn't very large, especially if you can get free postage on a new one etc. People will often just buy new because they prefer a clean copy and it's only a few pounds more. The book analogy isn't really right either, then.

So, I'd like to submit that there is no analogy that perfectly fits this situation. It's pretty much a new one that hasn't been dealt with before now. The rights of people to sell on things they've bought are all well and good, but at the end of the day the industry needs to do well or it'll shrink. I'm not saying it'll collapse, but if there isn't as much money in games, less people will want to work on making them.

Personally I think the role of publishers is a larger problem than. Taking huge cuts and sapping money out of the system with often pointless marketing, then leaning on devs to finish a game quickly doesn't lead to good games. The best games seem to come from devs who self-publish, or those with enough of a reputation that the publishers leave them in control. Perhaps alterations to the way games are made and sold would be a better way to keep the industry strong in the face of second hand game sales, rather than annoying a large number of customers.

Finally I'd like the point out that it's probably the fault of Game etc cashing in on the pre-owned market and making it a "thing" that is to blame for the complaints of publishers and devs. If trading wholesale like that could be stopped, but trading between individuals was allowed to continue, it would likely keep everyone happy. The only losers would be the stores that had been making money from facilitating second hand trading, which isn't a loss for the industry.

Anyway, I've realised why I'm still on this thread... I like typing on my keyboard ^^

Last edited: 7 Jun 2013
  20. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

look at the once a day check another way, you buy your xboxone, some scrot breaks in and nicks it, you report it as stolen, tell the police, and Microsoft, machine is connected to internet, Microsoft knows it's stolen, traces it, and disables it.