1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft drops DVD support from Windows 8

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 4 May 2012.

1. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I do play DvD through my Pc since I do not download. Plus my CRT Tv is dying and I'm planning to build a beamer, connected to my PC to replace it :D.

Well, I really prefear having the choice so I won't complain if corsoft removes every single software that isn't mandatory to run Windows. Now, except Window 7, everything I use are free softwares (myPaint, Gimp, Netbean, Notepad++, etc etc etc).

2. runadumb

runadumb New Member

I'm surprised so many people here (of all places) give a crap. I haven't even had an optical drive in my PC for two years. Which I admit is missed now and again for CD rips (I still buy cd's) but is not an issue 99% of the time. I even bought BF3 on disk only to open the case for the key and download it from origin so I didn't have to pay 40 bleeding quid for it.
    Free DVD playback software is easy to find and often already on peoples computers as they are great media players anyway.

3. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Of course, there's always a free soft :D ... I was in the same position than you. No optical for 2 years or so (thanks to Steam and bootable USB drives). I only bought one to rip my CDs and play an old game.

4. azazel1024

azazel1024 New Member

So let me get this straight, they drop DVD playback support, and then you have to pay for it...but if you pay for it, you don't also get Blu Ray support. Damnit it man, the least you could do is add in the ability to have "native" blu ray support even if you have to pay for it.

Well, whatever, I only use my Blu Ray drive to rip DVDs and Blu Ray disks anyway, not for watching.

5. Gundam God

Gundam God New Member

Hardly a bit deal at all, can't remember the last time I ever used WMP.

Still, win8 is going to have to be a hell of a lot better than 7 if you want me to upgrade from Vista.

6. Bazz

Bazz Bit of everything geek

Haven't used DVD's for at least 2 years, so I don't care much

7. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Member

No, you don't *have* to pay for it. You pay for it if you want WMP to play it for you. You don't have to do anything.

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Are they including BD playback as standard? Just dropping DVD playback, yes?

;)

I would presume it's to avoid the possibilities of our overlords deciding whether MS are working to guidelines by waiting for MS to release their OS with all sorts of built-in capabilites that negate the need to purchase further programs to do something (in this case) as innocent as playing back a dvd movie. It's just MS playing it safe so they're not hit with any fines, in my opinion.

It's all about choice... pffft :p

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Since my initial comment I've given this some thought. Clearly now is the time to rip all the DRM crap out of Windows as there's no longer any legitimate need for it. If you have to use 3rd party products said 3rd party products should implement their own DRM infrastructure. Let's all hold our breath waiting for this to happen... ;)

10. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Dreamer

I jumped at the chance to install Windows 7, mainly because Vista was so bloody awful, but am I the only one who is not in the slightest bit excited about Windows 8? I hate the new interface and suspect that this will be another disappointment to join Windows Me and Vista.

greypilgers likes this.
  11. greypilgers

greypilgers New Member

Amen, brother!

:thumb:

12. Joey Propane

Joey Propane New Member

For us software and tech savvy this doesn't mean alot, but spare a thought for the untold thousands of older and/or less knowledgeable folk out there who will be duped into buying a new (probably overpriced and under-specced...) Windows 8 laptop/desktop to replace their current machine only to find they can't play DVD's anymore.

13. runadumb

runadumb New Member

I had no problems with Vista after the initial install and driver setup, a process that very nearly had my foot going through my PC. After that it was smooth sailing. Only reason I jumped to win 7 on release was it was only £45. Worth every penny.

I, like others here, see no reason at all to leave windows 7. Metro looks nice for tablets but not for a desktop. Whenever I get a laptop/tablet hybrid device I will give it a go but not until then.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Re-read the article: even if you buy the Windows 8 Media Centre Pack (or the Windows 8 Pro Pack if you didn't buy Windows 8 Pro,) Windows Media Player will not play DVDs; only Media Centre (or third-party software) can play DVDs.

15. Noob?

Noob? New Member

Being a MC user, this isn't good news, I wasn't even aware, think I'll stick to Win7 if this is the case, serves me well!

What really intrigues me is what the cost of the "OS" will be without the pack at its levels? And what the Media Pack will cost and bring to the table?

16. Woodspoon

Woodspoon New Member

Another reason to not change to Windows 8

17. blohum

blohum New Member

I do and I think it's brilliant... it even passed the wife test, and that's saying something.

18. faxiij

faxiij Member

same **** as with game developers. they start developing for multiple platforms, games are **** on at least one of them. same with windows. kinda get the idea and understand and like the base idea of uniting the user experience between smartphone, tablet and notebook/computer/all-in-one. it is a very attractive idea. it just wont work out. by now im quite confident it will turn it as with xp/vista - a huge lot will stay with 7 (as with the former xp) and only move on when windows published the successor to win8, which hopefully will have learned from the mistakes ms are now doing with win8.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

...And this is why Apple is wiping the floor with the competition. It caters quite unashamedly for the average non-techie user who just wants to enjoy their web and media. Microsoft meanwhile makes it increasingly complicated for ordinary people to do ordinary things.

I mean, WTF. Is Microsoft hell-bent on destroying itself?!?

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Wait for Windows 9 people. When 8 bombs maybe Microsoft will try to right their wrongs like they did with 7 after Vista. Think of 8 as a beta version, just one you pay for..lol

Tags: Add Tags