1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Microsoft finally release the 360 they should have from the beginning

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by shigllgetcha, 15 Jun 2010.

1. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

Last edited: 15 Jun 2010
  2. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Awful, I'll come back to xbox when it's free to use xbox live (never).

4. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

yeh think the first post was earlier than yours

5. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

My main sticking point in investing in a 360 over a PS3 was the lack of built in wifi (£50 for a wireless adapter for christ's sake!!!!) and having to pay for Live. You're looking at £90 for just one year of use which more than nullifies the 360 being cheaper.
    Nice to see that the wifi is now built in, but I can't bring myself to pay £40 a year on a service I get for free on my PC. I ended up not bothering with consoles.

6. alastor

alastor Minimodder

I've never paid more than £27 for a year of Live. For less than the price of a pint per month I think it's worth it for the amount I play with friends.

7. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Do you get it off eBay?

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

For some reason I'm getting xbox live for free :D

9. riggs

riggs ^_^

I'm not a fan of the redesign tbh. Sure, if it's quieter and less prone to failure then that can only be a good thing. The actual design itself though is pretty horrible. Looks like an Alienware case and a Wii hooked up and had a freaky child!

Yay;
    Built in WiFi (finally)
    Bigger HDD
    Smaller/quieter
    More USB ports
    S/PDIF port

Nay;
    Looks horrid
    Still uses proprietary HDD
    Still using AA batteries for the pads
    Still has a power brick (instead of making it smaller they could've used the space for an internal PSU)

10. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

Unless it's changed, there are rechargeable battery packs that come with the wireless controllers along with the axillary AA packs.

11. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I never got any rechargeable packs with my elite console when i bought it last year so im guessing thats the way it'll be from now on, Tbh though i prefer it i always have loads of AA batteries in the house, but im terrible for charging things, and my xbox is too far from the TV to make a play and charge cable viable.

Ohh and YAAAAAAY more shiny plastic to attract every single dust particle in the house!

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Well, I can safely say I'm still happy with my slim PS3. :)

Already been enjoying my built in wifi, separate optical audio out, lack of overheating and quietness for quite some time. Of course, I'm still enjoying my free online play and lack of power brick!

Just seems like too little too late compared to the slim PS3.

Jamie likes this.
  13. fev

fev Industry Fallout

14. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Worth every penny. The amount of "buyers remorse" I felt after getting the 360 was unreal. Always loud, always broken, always deceivingly expensive, always that little bit "fisher price". Everything costs extra and everything is proprietary. The play & charge kit - why use a mini usb cable when you can use a chunky plastic contraption. Why use real money for the marketplace when you can use a ridiculous points system. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I paid £400 for my PS3 when it launched. I'm still using the same one. Still works perfectly, still very quiet and the only additional expenditure has been games and a 2nd controller. No subscriptions, no taking time off to wait for UPS, no weird controller charging apparatus, no £50 wifi...

15. fev

fev Industry Fallout

you paid for your wifi when you handed over your cash the first time, but I do agree with play and charge.

16. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Got my first 13months on ebay, can't remember where I got the second year, just picked up my 3rd 12 months from Electronic First a couple of weeks back.

17. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

It's perhaps slightly harsh to say too little too late. If the console sells well then it is a success and the number of original 360 owners certainly suggests that there's more to the experience than expensive peripherals, red-ring-of-death and propreitary non-standards. That the improvements could have been made before now is moot.

If the current console generation has as long to mature as commentators are saying it will, offering a decidedly BETTER version of your console is surely good business sense. And if it means you mimic the hardware of a competitor to improve your own. . . that's great for everyone.

18. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Yes, you missed out the deafening roar from the shoddy components!

19. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

what they need to do now is sort out the lag in the menus, the PS3 is so nippy in the menus in comparison.

20. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I really do hope this one is reliable.