1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft Flight announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Hurm.

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

It's something at least! Not a lot of info but it's something!

4. ed_456

ed_456 The Artful Bodger

If this utilises DX11 properly, it would look brilliant. I wonder why they have dropped the 'simulator' off the end.... Are we maybe looking at a more action/mission based game? I hope not.

5. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Wow the video looks amazing if that's in game.

It looks like they want it to be more social, if that's possible. Maybe you can go for flies with all your friends. Maybe it's like a MMORPG. They really have not given anything away at all.

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

They probably just ran out of roman numerals to tack onto the end...

7. Combatus

The interesting thing is that a vast majority, if not all, of the original design team for FSX, no longer work at MS. So what this will end up being like is anyone's guess. TBH FSX was a big step in the right direction as far as missions etc was concerned to spice things up a bit and some were genuinely fun. But the game still catered for those of us who wanted to do things properly. I really hope they sort the hog of a graphics engine out though. We've seen no improvement in frame rates between two generations of Intel CPUs and three generations of graphics cards.

8. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Ooo, some good news for the PC...makes a change. Although I am half expecting it to be Vista SP3 only.

9. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Why wouldn't Microsoft push their latest and greatest OS (by which I mean Win7) but they really need to kill off XP already, it's nearly 10 years old FFS!!

10. Combatus

Windows 7 only would make more sense if your going along the lines of Halo 2 being Vista only *cough*. But who cares, it's a new MSFS!!!

11. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

This news has literally made my day, and I am usually the one who can be found to be the least excited about games announcements. I thought MS had ditched the Flight series for good. I hope they pull it off, don't dumb it down for the masses, and make the wait worthwhile.:D

12. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Lets just hope they dont try and make it multi platform like they seem to do with everything else these days.
    An Xboxised flight simulator *shudder*

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I liked flying around in the hang glider in fsx

14. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

I love FSX, me and my cousin got good with the 737's on journeys over europe. Have to see what happens with this Flight and what Cascade Game Foundry will do.

15. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Yes!

I was a big fan of FSX - I landed a jumbo jet on a beach once :lol:

16. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Need ... more ... info!

17. Xir

Xir Modder

Meh...probably mouse or Xbox360-controller controlled.
    Comeon, I wannya dust of the ol' FF-Joystick!:D

18. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I have a bad feeling about this. They can the whole FS team, then plan to release a "flight game". Hmmm...

It will be dumbed down, and it won't be a proper sim.

19. B33 ENN

B33 ENN Lock'n'Load

I use FSX a lot and even today it stands up very well. I was disappointed when I heard MS was shutting down ACES and with it, apparently, the Flight Simulator series.

For an avid sim player like me, this is definitely good news that flight simulation development is continuing, but I agree with some of the opinions here that I am unsure what this "Flight" product will be - especially without the ACES team, unless they have another experienced developer on the project in secret.

It doesn't sound like it is intended to be a successor to FSX or the series, otherwise they would keep the "Simulator" part in the title as it is a well established, recognised and successful franchise.

I fear it may be more for the "accessible" market, hope I'm wrong and it's just a brand reboot with the same intermediate to advanced profile as FSX.

20. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

I was hoping this'd be the next-gen FS, including 3-dimensionalized terrain and buildings utilizing Bing Maps' Birds' Eye View imagery. (FS's use of s**tty repeating-square "aerial imagery" was nothing short of pathetic).

Unfortunately I don't think full real-world 3-D terrain won't take off until LIDAR becomes less expensive. Once you've got that, you've got grass and trees and the ingredients necessary for a true "virtual earth."

Tags: Add Tags