1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft gains double-clicking patent

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 4 Jun 2004.

1. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

i hearby patent walking! Every step you7 take must be payyed to me, to the sum of 1p per step! I am also patenting, "breathing". thatll be another 5p per breath (hiked prices because you NEED it!).

This is the stupedest thing ever. I have less respect for MS now!

2. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

nah bugger it. time to get used to Lin Daniels.good old bourbon.

biggopimp. i've never had any respect for M$.

3. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

i have repect for their programs and programmers ! not for company politics and such :)

4. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Well, seeing as any computer's resources are not unlimited, this would cover pretty much every computer. But, like most of the other things we are bitching about it's probably defined in the patent.

5. savethegaywhales

savethegaywhales What's a Dremel?

I'd like to patent idoicy.
    M$ owes me a lot of money.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
    I can't believe they actually awarded this patent to them.

6. Xgamer

Xgamer What's a Dremel?

Just goes to show what you can do with tons of money and lawyers.
    Anything :sigh:

7. toss

toss What's a Dremel?

thats so stupid the *********

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Jun 2004
  8. sexykitten

sexykitten We love Jaz

theres a lot of stupid replys in this thread too.

Microsoft isn't stupid for patenting it. Theyre oppurtunistic like every other realistic business. It's far better that MS patented the mouse clicks than some other random company that sell peices of the moon to morons.

the person who suggested only old computers are affected by this, obviously doesn't know about technical terms. When Limited resource is used, every resource on a computer is limited. Can your computer hold 1 terrabyte of ram (ok so if you have a cray then sure it might be able to but can your cray hold 1 petabyte)? Times change, and so does what one might infer from the word "limited" in this context.

anyhow it would seem the paptent doesn't mention the mouse.

A better comparison would be with FAT. but i'll leave that for now and see what stupid reply's i see there

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Jun 2004
  9. dr_crazy

dr_crazy What's a Dremel?

I don't think its stupidity, i thinks its them trying to get blood out of a stone. They are clutching at straws to try and fill their pockets.

But now begs the question: if M$ take ne one to court over this, will the judge then convict, or will he make the copyright void?

lets hope for the latter rather than former! :sigh:

10. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I see you're in baiting mode again. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the reason that this is a stupid patent to issue is that how will it ever be upheld? there's plenty of "prior art" (even before 1997, when the patent was applied for) to render the patent useless - for example, PalmOS Machines and the old Apple Newtons - both being 'limited resource' computing devices as defined in the patent (as the patent is only aimed at Handhelds and Smartphones).

11. inmate909

inmate909 What's a Dremel?

Kinda new here but thought I would jump in. Stupid patent to issue - Yes. Stupid to apply for - No. Microsoft are not the stupid people here. I would even say the patent office is not really stupid either - I would bet a couple bucks the structure of granting patents and criteria that needed to be met is why the patent was granted - there was no legal reason to decline it. If they COULD just decide "this is stupid - no patent" then something IS wrong. The fact they must apply criteria and (for lack of better word) laws to EVERY patent equally is great and I'm sure (two bucks sure) that is what happened here. Changes to the patent system need to be made - not companys trying to profit, nor government entities tied in knots by their own regulations.

Another stupid patent issued? How about Amazon patenting the "One-Click to Buy" idea.

Tags: Add Tags