1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft hit with €561 million fine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 Mar 2013.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Forgetting something is a mistake, and you get fired for big mistakes. But I'm leaning toward someone "forgetting" (meaning, intentionally forgetting) because based on how the article is worded, it seems like MS was fully aware of their "mistake". I think the problem is MS didn't expect Windows 8 to be such a failure, so they probably didn't bargain the loss was going to take such a hit.

If what I say is true it's a shame MS doesn't pay their employees more (or at least charge less for their products), on the other hand, I've known former MS employees who were more than wealthy.

2. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

God, I forget one lousy ' browser choice screen ' and there's hell on, (don't tell em it was me ok)

3. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Hmm, just done a W7 re install, clicked on IE to go and download Chrome and the first thing it did was ask me what browser I would like to use and downloaded it before I could do anything else.
    No pop up on install, but I was asked for a choice as soon as I clicked on IE.
    As long as the choice is there and made obvious before you do anything, I see no problem.

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The original ruling was disgusting, absolutely disgusting.
    Microsoft have NEVER prevented anyone from installing their browser of choice, and they allow that browser to be set as default.

However, MS agreed to make changes and then reneged. Still don't agree with it though.

5. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

As a geek I don't see what all the fuss is about, but then i don't "get" people who buy a PC from PC world. Or have a phobia to inserting a stick of RAM.
    I just assumed everyone went oooh Windows, right fire up IE, download chrome or FF. Shut down IE and hide the icons for ever. Change defaults.
    Bask in the glow of a proper browser burning into your eyeholes.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

what I would like to see is Microsoft refusing to supply a browser installed with the os in eu countries, and then not have to supply the browser choice.

let customers figure out how to get a browser, without one being installed by Microsoft (OEMs)

7. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Lol. Not sure that would be in their interest. As it would just make manufactures install a 3rd party browser install selection screen on first boot or even worse just bundling a third party browser with no IE.... would not help their market share.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

make it a condition that no browser can be installed by oem on windows machine, customer has to find their own. watch all the magazines put cds/dvds back on covers with browsers

9. Xir

Xir Modder

It's not the first time they "forgot" so... ;)

10. bagman

bagman Minimodder

This is just stupid. Back in vista and XP days microsoft didn't have choose your own browser rubbish so why should they now? (I guess the 'competition' are scared because IE is actually usable these days). They have never stopped you from putting on your own browser so whats is the problem?

11. Xir

Xir Modder

You've not read the thread, it's "because" they didn't have it back then they were obliged to