1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft knew about Xbox 360 disc scratching?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Dec 2008.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

its your fault of dieing in an accident, not the car makers fault for not including seat belts and other safety features, they saved lots of cash with that move, you should read the manual were it states that you should never go over a certain speed limit and not go on certain roads.

IMHO this is not about money saving, its about client maintaining and expanding (thus making money), your clients will not be your clients for long if the console has the ability to randomly destroy disks (even if it is your fault in some cases), do the RROD thing, overheat and be loud.

for each person that hears that the console eats disks, thus causing them not to buy the console, you loose 1 console sale + all the game premiums, lets see... 25p per console and a console costing 162£ (i know they don't get any money from console sales, but i am also not considering game sales that would increase this value largely), that is about 648 modifications, multiplying this by the amount of people that did not buy the console because of this, then you have a large number of consoles that could be running better.

every little touch, that makes the console better for everyday use, is a good thing in therms of gaining clients, if the 360 had a QUIET small form factor factor slot loading drive, larger and more efficient cooling systems, more standard hard drive, etc.. all small things that could be done for a small price premium, then your client base should go up and be maintained on the next version of the xbox.

2. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

I did say that it was a bit of a reach for the pinto comparison. It was more this bit that I was using to compare to this.

Where they knew of the problem and it was cheep to fix. But they ultimately decided it was cheaper to deal with the backlash without the fix.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'd like to take a thompson phillips, samsung, and hitachi PC drive to bits (Preferably those that should be a similar spec to the Xbox drive) and have a look for these rubber pads. I lack the funds, time, and drives to do this, though.

I know they aren't on my Plextor, and I know that, if moved from horizontal to vertical or visa-versa, will scratch a disk - I tested it (I have it external).

I also believe that they would have had more problems with the pads shifting over time due to glue melting, hell, even pads coming off, than they would have without them. There are a lot of costs that people are not considering when they see the 25p - They assume that is all it is. It isn't. The rubber pads may cost that, on their own, but that's just the pads. There's assembly - If the drive manufacturers used don't already do that, that's a custom production line needed - Which is a shitton of money (At least, in the flooring industry it is) to the company requesting the work. Then there's the testing - They'd have to test the console in hundreds of different weather and temperature/humidity settings to ensure that the glue doesn't fail, and thus cause massive damage to the drive (And thus more complaints/repair costs), and test it with a disk spinning for the average life of the drive to ensure that doesn't pull the pads off. The obligatory moving the console test, to see how much damage is caused to the disk or the drive itself.

CD/DVD drives in PC's are much easier to replace than a consoles drives, so if a drive does have the pads, then it's not such a pain in the ass to replace.

Monitarily, it doesn't make sense. Logically, it wouldn't make sense. Introduce something that could cause more problems than it solves. If we round the 55k to 100k, to cover anyone not involved with the lawsuit, that's still not a massive number, one I would still happily put down to user error, and while some of those might be legitimate complaints, there's still 21.9 million users who are not in need of these pads. That's 21.9 million that could well have issues if the pads were installed.

I'd rather, as a business, deal with a few thousand than a few million.

However. I do not believe, even slightly, that Microsoft are at fault here, bar the initial systems that scratched disks without intervention from the user, and that it is simply the user.

As for the Ford comparison, DXR_13K, no one here is dying because of a few thousand scratched disks. Also, there are speeds you don't go over on roads - It's called a speed limit, you know, as stated by law.. There are also roads that a lot of vehicless won't be suitable for.

Microsoft made a gamble, and technically, they won. 22 million sales is a win in my book. Unless 22 million people sent their consoles back - Which they haven't. Sure it could have been done better, but it is only their second major console, and it sells well, works for the huge majority, and IMO is not a bad console, in general.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

IIRC i did not talk about Ford.

substitute "die" with "damaged property" on my above statement.

your local road may allow a max speed of 50Km/h, but imagine that you have an accident that is caused by some defect in the car and you were going at about 30Km/h, the company says to you:

"we knew it had a problem that would cause that, so we manufactured it anyway and told you nothing, we are not the causers of your accident, you were an idiot to drive at that speed"

btw, what was the percentage of failed xbox360 that had to go back and get fixed? (notice that MS has to fix each one of these and in the process loose some money) and how much of them are noisy? how much of them randomly scratch disks?

considering the previous answers do you consider that most of the clients (remove the fanboys) that bought the damn thing are happy?

i am here debating in the spirit of debate, i agree that people should not move the damn thing when it is working, but i also agree that some key aspects of the console could be hugely improved before it went into production...

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

RROD? That is the only major flaw I can think of.

Yes, it's noisy... update has fixed that.
    Yes, it scratches discs... how many people have that problem? Not too many I'd say. UNLESS you're a complete idiot and move the console while it's running -> your own bloody fault!

I'd say most people can be happy with their 360.
    And by the way: There's no proof that putting in those pads would've 100% solved the problem, is there? (see liratheal's comment on his external Plextor drive)

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Sorry - Must be confusing usernames. Or manufacturers. One of the two.

The fixed failures, IE, RROD failures, are totally unrelated to the scratched disks, and therefore, it's not a vaild comparison/question.

All 360's are noisy to a degree - But personally, and no I'm not deaf, I have never noticed it when I game - I'm listening to the game, or whatever I happen to be watching on the PC at the time. It has also given you the option to install the game now - Eliminating the large majority of the noise. That should have been done from the start, admittedly, but hey. No console is perfect.

I would say very few scratch disks (Whether through user error (The large majority I expect), or system error - Based on the fact that this lawsuit is only 55,000 people, and had this been any bigger in terms of numbers of people that get scratched disks, it wouldn't be only 55,000.

I would say that yes, most Xbox 360 users are happy. The fanboys not included in that theory.

Tags: Add Tags