1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft launches 2008 server lineup

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Feb 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

They haven't really launched much though, Everybody has been able to use Visual Studio since November, SQL server isn't finished yet and windows server isn't feature complete yet.

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

ill put server 2008 in my office when if i ask people about Vista, they replied "Vista? that's so old!".

4. SlickGnome

SlickGnome What's a Dremel?

I have the full release of Server 2008 downloading as I type this and will be running on a test system at home for the time being, Once I figure out if I like the changes and if it is as secure as they say it is, I'll probably start upgrading some of my servers to it at work, but I don't see that being at least until SP1 is released for it (No microsoft OS has ever been worth a damn until at least SP1)

5. WildTangent

WildTangent What's a Dremel?

Server 2008 has SP1 included with it. I'll wait for SP2.

6. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

Got to see it early feb at a one of our supplyers convention.

It looked pritty good to me. the core vertions look excellent no UI clogging up the place and ability to install only the bare minimum required for a servers use. it looks like it has the ability to run on older hardware then 2003 which is nice if you want a new OS but not new hardware.

very fast install, the guy demoing kicked off and spoke for a few mins and it was done.

very well intergrated with regards to VM solutions out there.

There new security features look pritty good, nothing that you can't do via group policies in AD currently but nice management console and looks alot easyer to setup then GP's

as for what the post said about pushing for vista yes they are defo. however all will be backward compalible with XP sp2.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Huh? How on earth could a product that's five minutes old already have a service pack applied? Surely the fixes of Vista SP1 are applied, but that doesn't make it Server 2008 SP1. Or I shouldn't think so anyways. Microsoft and their naming schemes...

Sucks for me though, because now all of my customers at work are probably going to be bugging me about this constantly. Luckily I'm in sales now rather than support so it won't be as bad, but I'm sure I'll get plenty of stupid questions from people wondering how we haven't tested our product on Server and SQL server 08 for the last year and a half.

8. hawky84

hawky84 SilentModder

The best thing for myself is Studio 2008 or more inportantly Team System 2008, it has such an improved merge tool for forward and reverse integrations in Team Foundation Server, not to mention queuing of Team Builds and better work item processes.

9. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I've been using the pre-release for a few months and have found it to be a nice upgrade from 2003. I think we're going to be rolling it out on some web development servers at work soon - as IIS7 is good improvement over 6.

10. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

yea i hope to be able to do this soon too, if just for being able to duplicate IIS configs across multiple servers so much more easily

11. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

i tried it at a conference
    it seems a little cleaner than 2k3
    less like a desktop os and more like a server os

i like it but will not invest until budget permits in the new financial year maybe

Tags: Add Tags