1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft leaks details on Xbox Next

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dad, 3 Feb 2004.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

From the Mercury News:

Microsoft has quietly circulated the specifications for its next-generation Xbox video-game console, indicating how the company plans to carry on its war against dominant player Sony.

The details suggest Microsoft is far more concerned about keeping the cost of its Xbox Next console low than it is with including dazzling technological features or driving its rivals out of the business, according to a variety of industry sources.

People familiar with Microsoft's strategy say the company apparently believes it can capture a much larger share of the market if it launches its machine before Sony fields its PlayStation 3 console in 2006.

A Microsoft spokeswoman declined to comment on strategy details.

The new Xbox reflects some tough lessons learned in the current console battle, in which Sony has outsold Microsoft 5 to 1. The Xbox has put Microsoft on the map with a generation of gamers. But it has also been a money loser, albeit a relatively small one for a company with $53 billion in cash.

More here

For those who refuse to read the article, here are the leaked specs:

• Three IBM-designed 64-bit microprocessors.

• A graphics chip designed by ATI Technologies with speeds much faster than its upcoming R400 chip for the personal computer.

• Compatibility with the original Xbox, which is based on Intel and Nvidia chips, isn't guaranteed.

• 256Mb, maybe 512Mb of RAM

• NO hard drive anymore

I'm in shock with these specs and pissed that reverse compatability isn't guaranteed...

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I think the non-harddisk thing could be a problem; they could have made a HTPC box n all like the PSX.

3. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

I think the biggest problem could be that Microsoft doesn't seem to care much about making it reverse compatable with older games. Not having a HDD could be a problem, but the compatability issue will be a huge problem and they may lose a lot of sales due to it. I think that's why the Playstation is as popular as it is now, you've got mom and dad going into the store to buy a console for little Johnny. They see the xBox Next and Playstation 3 all displayed nice an pretty, but they are told that only the playstation 3 will play little Johnny's old games. What do they buy?

4. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I really hope they go back on their idea to leave out the hard drive, as that was one of the strongest selling points for me personaly with the orignal x-box. I realise it'll cut costs (allbeit slightly) but still, I think that it definately does sway some people from other consoles. Or maybe it's just me personaly hating those gawd aweful memory cards that you have to buy, that cost allmost as much as the games, that break consistantly, and can only hold a very small amount of saves :grr:

5. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

If they can't float the 50 bucks for the HDD, maybe they can make it as an add-on option or something. I don't think an internal option would be a good idea, but maybe hang it off of a USB2 or Firewire port...

6. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Yeah, but then it becomes nothing more than a memory card, and defeats the entire idea behind putting a hard drive in there in the first place. But I will have to dissagree with you on the internalization thing though, I think it's a better idea, less to lose, less to break (by fault of the user). Maybe a fullsized drive is not the best idea true, but maybe a laptop hard drive, or something simillar would work a lot better than any piece of garbage memory card.

7. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Oh, by far an internal solution would be the ideal, but I'm thinking of the non-techie people out there wanting to get the option but not being about to install it. Not to mention how much opening the case would void the warranty.

8. Malvolio

Malvolio .

No no, if they rethink their idea, and decide to include a hard drive out of the box, then it would sell a few hundred more consoles. Thats what I'm meaning. Not an internalized aftermarket drive.

9. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Ah, okay... I'm with ya now... I agree with that too. But if they are so worried about the extra 50 bucks being tacked onto the price, I hope they decide to offer it as an option.

10. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

they shud make a HDD as an add on, so the consoles cheaper, yet if u wanna have one, u can

also, i see why they cant backward compat, maybe they were specially designed for the specially designed geforce 3 in there? no more nvidia means no more back compat? TBH who plays ps1 games on a ps2? i certainly dont..

11. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

You have to look at it through the eyes of the person who is spending the money which the bulk of the time will be a parent who is more than likely "technically challanged". The parent will look for things like backward compatability and cost before how cool it is or how much bleeding edge tech is in there. In addition, many people play PS1 games on a PS2. My kids are a prime example. They have a PS2 console at their mother's house and they are constantley bringing their PS1 games (we have a PS1 at my house along with an xBox) over to play on their PS2.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

any old usb stick wil do - 16meg one should be more than enough, and it only costs ~10?

13. VirtualEther

VirtualEther What's a Dremel?

Now I remember why I hate Microsoft, and I am glad I didn't buy an Xbox. How moronic can a company actually be and still have 53 bilion dollars? In my opinion, this is the worst thing they could possibly have done with a "next generation" console. Perhaps the term retro console would be better. Removing any features, no matter how little used is a sure fire way to sell less. Not having backwards compatability is absolutely, ridiculously stupid. The console had problems with game selection when it launched the first time, and now, without backwards compatability, it wil lhave the same problem again. Also, they claim to be in this for the long run, but if so, then whats a few million bucks lost in the first few years to having a loyal fan base for the next ten, who will buy, and buy again no matter what the cost?

You may not, but lot's of people do. Most people who are avid gamers, who should be Microsoft's target market for a next gen console, had a PS1 when it came out, as it was the height of technology then. They buy PS2 becasue they want the new power, and they want to play new games, since they won't run on the PS1. So now, they can give away, or sell their PS1 and still be able to play it's games. There is no reason to have 10 generations of a console when you can have one that does the work of all 10. Plus, you have a much larger collection of games to play...so you have something to please everyone.

I hate Microsoft, and whoever leads the team for Xbox should be forced to hang their husband/wife and children over a giant vat, slit their rists and throats, thus draining the blood into the vat, boiling their lifeless bodies in their own blood, and then forced to eat every last bit of it until his stomach bursts and he dies a horribly painful death due to acid eating his other organs.

Ooopps....little bit of a rant there, oh well. It gets my hatred across so well. I should take that guys job though. I would tell Microsoft to shove it up there ass and deal with the bill.
    :lol:

14. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

:worried: right then...

I WANT ONE I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT! :clap:

15. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Actually the Playstation is the ONLY console with backwards campatability. You can't play NES games on a SNES, nor can you play SNES games on a GameCube. It's been like that ever since the Atari 2600. It's just that Sony hit it on the head with including the campatability on PS2's and although I believe Microsoft should follow suit, they by no means have to, nor is it stupid not to. Don't get me wrong, I'm NO fan of Microsoft, but I can see where they are going.

16. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

Ive heard these CPUs are gonna be runnin at 5ghz each, and 65nm cores, all g5s??

whats that? 15ghz of 64bit power, seing as there the same as apple chips, surely thats the sam as a 20ghz P4!?, and a R500? well thats a few notches above the 9800 pro , and to think, the xbox 1, has some NICE graphics - but its only a 733 CELERON! and a geforce 3, a pc with a celeron 733 and a geforce 3, couldnt pull off the graphics of an xbox

so think of 20ghz 64bit cpu, a couple of generations furthur than a 9800 pro, with 512 memory . and seing as consoles are better for gaming, improve that by 10-15%......some crazy specs there

im getting ps2 fever, where the specs were super hyped, maybe its just a tactic there robbin off sony ? hehe ;)

17. VirtualEther

VirtualEther What's a Dremel?

I know Playstation is the only one, and your right, they hit it on the head, but if Microsoft wants to be in it for the long run, they need to either make their consoles really cheap, which they are apparently trying to do, or they need backwards compatability. Don't get me wrong, I think that the specs they have released are spectactular, and it makes me want one for the sheer power....but with those kind of specs, it doesnt sound to me like it is going to be an affordable system to the average consumer. Nintendo is cheap, and they have classic games, like Zelda, and Mario,and Mario Kart that no other system has, which is why I like it, and why they have a loyal market. Playstation just kicks ass, and they will always have a large loyal following in my opinion. If Microsoft wants to stay in this game for the long run, which in my eyes means establishing a loyal fan base, they need backwards compatability...or a very cheap price tag. If this new console is only..say 150 bucks, then it's great, but with the specs they have given, I doubt that price tag, without them losing loads of money...again. And losing loads of money everytime they make a new generation console is definitely not the way to stay in the game for the long run.

I'm not saying I won't buy one, or that all there products are absolute crap, I just hate that Microsoft says, and does things incompatable with it's supposed goals.

18. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Maybe so, but I don't think they need to either stick with a low price tag or have backward compatability. It's all marketing and positioning within the marketplace that will drive sales. Perfect example is OS/2 - FAR superior to Windows 95, cheaper and Windows 3.1 / DOS compatable at the time, but IBM killed it by not marketing it at all. If they don't charge any more than they did for the original xBox release, I think they'll be okay and the xBox Next will sell.

19. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

On the plus side...With that kind of hardware, 64bit CPU, and state of the art GPU it will probally have more kick than my gaming rig (rig 1, see below)

20. dragonzero

dragonzero What's a Dremel?

i dont want to be rude , but there are a few other backwards compatible systems , gameboy pocket played gameboy , color gameboy plays gameboy , gameboy advance/sp play all gameboy games :clap: :clap: .... nintendo's handhelds always were compatible with eachother, but if xbox does not reasure developers that there will be backwards compatiblity , :grr: we may see the games released on all consoles dissapear.... :rolleyes: developers are going to love that the games they have been pouring their blood and sweat into all these years :waah: ,,, may be released doa if xbox next comes out early

Tags: Add Tags