1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft not worried about Chrome

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jul 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. PT88

PT88 What's a Dremel?

Is chrome basicaly just another Linux Distro?

3. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

If google could get the game support I'd back them, until them or any other OS gets good gaming support ill be sticking with windows..(as much as I hate it)

4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

The google OS will be an 'instant on' linux distro; with the GUI built around their web browser - not a direct competitor to windows of any flavour, but will make 'simple computers' even cheaper without an MS licence on top. (Google's will be open source).

5. tejas

tejas What's a Dremel?

In order for that to happen OpenGL would have to be explicitly supported by Google Chrome OS as well as by Nvidia, AMD and Intel in drivers. However if they can get OpenGL and OpenCL to work well then, gaming wise and folding wise, Windows will be dead.

Seeing how Nvidia, AMD and Intel are supporting OpenGL and CL, I think Google could do some serious damage to Microsoft especially if the OS is free...

6. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

PT, yes it is :D But Google are gunna make it good.

And why would microsoft come out if they weren't scared? They know the Chrome browser is better, and are expecting the OS to be better too. I think many computer sellers will install Chrome, as it will be fast, and get users on the internet within seconds.

7. Petor

Petor What's a Dremel?

Haha yeah that being said im a recent convert to mac, and i can happily play away at EVE natively. keeps me happy :)

8. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Who in their right mind wants a google OS that will only make money off everything you click on?

Do you want the Google toolbar? NO!
    Do you want the Google Sidebar? NO F*^" Off!
    Do you want the Google web browser, with all these included? NO for F*^"$ sake, I'm happy with what I've got!
    Well how about a Google Operating System, with all these included? Why would I swap a perfectly running and well maintained operating system with a Google ADWARE OS, now where is my shotgun and get me the address of the Google CEO!!!!!

I think I'll stick with the No 1 Brand of 2009.......MICROSOFT!!!!! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8149460.stm

It also looks like everyone else is too judging by the Windows7 pre-orders. So 95% of the planet will stay the same and the iCrap will keep their 1% of shiny things, whilst the remaining 4% switch from Linux to Google/Linux.

9. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Uhm... yeah. Right. You haven't actually used Chrome, have you? There is no toolbar, or any useless crap like that. If you type a keyword in the adress bar instead of an url it will go to google, but that's a feature, as it allows you to search for keywords using a simple shortcut. In fact I wouldn't want to miss Chrome on the netbook, as it uses the least vertical space, giving you more room for your webpage.

And if you are that worried about your private data just use Iron.

There is more thought in Chrome as one might think, for netbooks I'm sure the google OS will be great.

10. crazyceo

So it directs you to make them money? and then you recommend another product to protect my data?

I'll stick with Windows 7 which I might add RC is working perfectly fine on my netbook without any Google ADWARE.

11. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Steve-o has a point - Android has an x86 implementation, and both Chrome OS and Android are just going to be yet another Linux distro. Judging by the current popularity of Linux, this probably won't get too far unless Google can somehow hide the Linux core away and present users with an extremely dumbed-down interface, which I highly doubt will be possible. Not even Canonical and Ubuntu can truly be considered user-friendly, and then there's the fact that most Windows users don't know jack about their operating system. They expect things to work when they're clicked on, and whenever the slightest part of the UI is altered they are hopelessly lost - just look at the transition from XP to Vista.

12. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Actually the first time you run chrome it says that it is using the address bar to search google by default and asks if you want to change it.
    The extent of your google paranoia is a little odd to say the least, why would you be any more trusting of Microsoft?

13. crazyceo

14. tejas

tejas What's a Dremel?

hmm I don't trust Microsoft certainly not after their witholding of Alan Wake on the PC and generally stifling PC gaming in favour of the 360. I think most PC gamers only use Windows because there is NO other choice and are effectively forced to.

Competition in the OS market is long overdue and a free solid OS based on proven Linux base that could possible have gaming via OpenGL is going to open a can of whoopass (as Jen Hsun would say) on MS and their overpriced OS.

Also Google Chrome OS could break the x86 monopoly of Intel and AMD and open the CPU desktop market right up. Exciting times in computing methinks!!

15. crazyceo

Come off it guys, this is pure (crack)pipe dreaming.

"a free solid OS based on proven Linux base" Isn't that an oximoron?

Remind me, has Apple taken on Microsoft in the Gaming front? No! They just can't convince the developers to plough money into an area that just won't succeed. Hang on, what about Linux? Yep, good developers just won't touch it either.

Yeah, Google is really going to make Microsoft quake in their boots over a linux based OS.

16. dylAndroid

dylAndroid is human?

And yet, the iPod was just another MP3 player, albeit a bit dumbed-down. MP3 players had been around for years, yet as a product, no brand could get them to take off. They were complicated devices that only the most tech savvy seemed comfortable with (or so the public impression of them seemed to be), until Apple rolled out a simplified MP3 player with an extremely strong brand.

I can see Google pulling off the equivalent.

Actually, this general situation was predicted by one of my professors a couple years ago -- that google and microsoft were going to be battling and that google was going to try to displace microsoft's core strength: it's OS dominance. And that the OS that google went for would be much lighter weight and probably end up with more clould-type elements. The whole discussion also illustrated how google really shouldn't be seen as goodguys from the dot com era anymore.

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

indeed, who wants to trust a company that has a browser that is closed source, connects you automatically to a site from where they profit from you (and sets it up as your home page), has the standard search engine also directed to this site and is known to have lots of back doors and being a liability?

18. crazyceo

Yes, liability that they have to address. Windows7 release in Europe will highlight this problem with third party "Open source" software. Microsoft won't have to lift a finger while your so called saviour browsers ruin your systems letting in virus and bot attacks.

Hang on, doesn't Chrome lead you straight to google and google search? As with IE8 you can change your home page and search.

As to a "standard search engine". Bing is a better calculated and formulation search than Google at present. Microsoft actually went out and purchased the company specifically with this in mind. OK it doesn't run local information that well at the moment but it took years for Google to be perfected and it still isn't that perfect anyway.

19. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I'm all for more competition, as always, but there is no way Chrome will have any significant effct on Window's desktop dominance.

20. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i was talking about IE...

Chrome lets you change the search engine, the home page, the source code.... about everything.

and when you open chrome it does not lead you to google, it leads you to a mosaic panel similar to safari, then you can search what you want using the search engine you chose or you can type the URL, IIRC chrome does not have a home page system like IE.

The majority of the computers that people send me for virus removal or for fixing are people that exclusively use IE, the other part is composed of people that use lame P2P software. I rarely see a computer with firefox or chrome, the ones that i see with these work flawlessly on the hands of my friends.

edit: to change the search engine on chrome you simply left click the search bar, select edit search engine, and chose from a rather nice list that includes some of your bookmarks.

Tags: Add Tags