News Microsoft officially drops Clover Trail support in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 21 Jul 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Staff Administrator

Read more

2. jrs77

jrs77 theorycrafting

It's laughable that a big international company like intel can't do what all the Linux distributions do so easily... supporting age old hardware on a whim.

I have Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS running on an Asus AT3ION (Atom 330) an i5-3450 (using the IGP) and an i5-760 paired with a GeForce 720. Arch Linux is running on my i7-5775C and my ThinkPad X121e (i3-2357M and even the SIM-card is working).
    Good luck trying to run Windows 10 on all of them without problems.

3. Corky42

Corky42 What did walle eat for breakfast?

People who bought a Clover Trail based system probably don't agree with that statement. ;)

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

To be fair, the Clover Trail Atoms were released in 2012, and were pretty bad then. Using one today would be torturous.

5. jrs77

jrs77 theorycrafting

To be fair I'm still using two systems running on Atom 330s and they're perfectly fine as a HTPC or OfficePC. Nothing tortutous about them at all given you use a suitable OS. They run silently and only draw some 30-40 Watt from the socket while watching a movie in 1080p (H264 mp4 or mkv) and even less when you just write a letter or browse the web.

Seriously, the problem is not these low-power CPUs, as they aren't low-power at all for most everyday tasks. The problem is usually the software that is requiring ever increasing ridiculous amounts of CPU grunt and memory, as the software gets less and less optimized by those lazy developers.

Why is it that a modern Linux-distribution is only a quarter the size of Windows 10 and even manages to squeeze in a full office-suite like Libre Office into it? It even comes with all the necessary drivers to run most of the hardware outthere.

Microsoft needs to get their 5hit together, but unfortunately they don't need to as they're the only player in the market, as the other software-developers won't support Linux. If companies like Adobe would make their software available for Linux for example you'd see professionals abandon Windows in masses.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Am I the only one that thinks in this situation freezing feature updates but maintaining security updates isn't entirely unreasonable?

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Welcome to the history of computing for the past few decades, I guess?

Tags: Add Tags